Do you have a 'long stabby thing' next to the bed just in case someone breaks in?

3 Likes

You pull the trigger to clear the blade.

2 Likes

But then you’ve wasted a shot.

True for me too. In the event of an intruder alert, I’d reach for the nearest hard poundy thing good for whacking.

I have some of these scattered about the house in convenient locations. As a double bonus, they’re useful for identifying targets (or false alarms) in the dark and most people don’t consider them to be scary dangerous weapons, which could be favorable to the long-term outcome of a self-defense situation.

7 Likes

No long stabby things, but I do have a big lampy thing that might work in a pinch. I also keep a fierce ninja wife ready to hand, woe betide the poor chump who breaks and enters with her around.

I’ll have plenty of warning because my medium barky thing lets me know if anyone is moving within about 30 feet of the house.

7 Likes

Yup, There’s already a obvious reason to keep a torch by your bed anyway, and mine just happens to be big and heavy. Mind you, I live in the UK and I’ve never even heard of someone having their home broken into while they were home, so it’s more for lighting than fighting.

3 Likes

Came to say this. The model I have, with 4 D cells, would pack a wallop I reckon. But mostly I just use it to identify the critters on the fence outside the window that my cat hears way before me.

2 Likes

I’m afraid Georgie just single-handedly made me develop a fetish for mature women.

1 Like

But that’s what I mean by a desperate place. I’m 61 now and I know personally of only two families who have suffered break ins. My sister in the UK and my boss in Norway. In both case the thieves broke in very quietly, grabbed what they wanted, and left.

It does seem worth noting that in the vast majority of home intrusions, the intruders want nothing to do with the people living there. I remember local police advice that a good thing to do if you hear someone break into another room is to make nosises indicating that you’re awake. Also, if you have a car, keep the key near your bed so you can trigger the alarm in such cases. Either or both are very likely to make intruders leave in a hurry.

5 Likes

Aye, creepers are not popular in jails, so it’s not much of a criminal profession.

From previous threads…

I have an antique model 12, but I just shoot trap and skeet with it. It doesn’t have the stabby thing.

I do have a Japanese bayonet around here somewhere…

I high lumens flashlight is really a must have. Get one and have someone shine it in your face while you try to approach them in a room. It is really hard to do unless you’re daredevil.

Yeah, many if not most thieves will just get the fuck out of dodge. There are even examples where people break in, eat and watch TV, and then leave. Though there are many examples of bolder and/or inebriated thieves or thieves in groups who won’t back down so easily. IMO good to have a plan B.

1 Like

Like in XCom?

how would that work?

Do you have the heat shield and bayonet mount?

For home defense we just scatter inflated whoopee cushions around the house liberally before we turn off the lights and go to bed. For hand-to-hand stuff we also have a few squirt flowers and joy buzzers.

This is because long stabby thing fights tend to escalate into longer, stabbier thing fights and before you know it you can’t get into your own house because you’ve got a full-length jousting lance and you keep tripping over it when it lodges into corners and behind furniture, or you find yourself holding it sideways for some odd reason so you can’t pass through open doorways.

14 Likes

Caveat: I’m repeating hearsay, I have never been in real live hand-to-hand combat with a bayonet and firearm.

Supposedly when you’re using a bayonet and trench shotgun in the close quarters it’s named after, you stab people until someone gets stuck on the blade, then you give 'em a blast of buck and ball to unwedge the bayonet from whatever it’s stuck on, and eventually when you run out of shells you stop stabbing and start slashing and clubbing. Whenever possible you shoot and load because of the relatively small magazine, and the (arguably) best trench shotguns make that easy. There’s also a thing called slam shooting, that’s associated with combat shotguns, but that’s not a bayonet technique.

@Max_Blancke or @Mister44 could probably give you a more informed answer than I can - my knowledge of firearms is far from comprehensive! (Although I can tell you about the Puckle gun and the Tannenburg Handgonne.)

Ah. At the first moment I read it like a typical action scene, were the bullets’ impact make the target fly backwards. Your detailed description makes more sense, though I doubt it would work against zombies.

1 Like