Texas homeowner spears intruder

Originally published at: Texas homeowner spears intruder | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Happy cake day @beschizza!

28 Likes

Thermopylae, Texas style (to be clear, not a compliment).

15 Likes

Yay, @beschizza

star trek cake GIF

24 Likes

Thanks everyone! It’s not my birthday!

EDIT: no idea why the cake icon is there, I never put my birthday in and now that I have, the cake is still there!

20 Likes

Remember, don’t eat so much cake, you get’a stom-a-cake.

18 Likes

It’s the anniversary when your account was made, which is the default unless you set it as your birthday…

Or an excuse to eat cake…

Tina Fey Nbc GIF by Saturday Night Live

30 Likes

Using a long weapon in a confined hallway? Wouldn’t have been my first choice, but I don’t own an array of bladed weapons.

11 Likes

from 2014? so why post today? am i missing something?

4 Likes

Long weapon with a pointy bit at the end for poking would be the preferred way to defend a confined hallway; much better than any swinging or hacking weapon.

Also, as I watched this video, my thoughts went from “dude’s a mall ninja” to “dude’s really well-spoken and in control” to “is this a parody news video? Weird that there’s so much footage of him” to “that’s… actually some good form he’s showing” to “Blood… still there?” to “headslap SCA. Now it all makes sense”.

15 Likes

I think you’re right that if the opponent is already at distance, a spear is a great weapon for a confined area. But the video says that when he first encountered the burglar they were “two to three feet” apart. If he hadn’t happened to be choked up on the spear right at that point the burglar would have been way inside of distance. Anyway, this is definitely a cutlass situation, all things being equal.

EDIT: He does say it’s a short spear…

7 Likes

My first option would be a door.

Closing Arrested Development GIF

13 Likes

Right? I expected to laugh, but then saw that he actually can swing a sword properly and hold a spear properly and…OK, good on him. A Texan who doesn’t own firearms–who’da thunk?

3 Likes

I don’t mean to nitpick, but the station is KXAN. I know the A looks like an O in the video. It’s the local Austin NBC affiliate station.

And no, I won’t be breaking into this man’s trailer anytime soon!

5 Likes

Kind of how I expected a Sweded version of Kill Bill to look. Three thumbs up. :man_shrugging:

7 Likes

This guy just lived what every SCA combat practitioner trains for.

7 Likes

The cake… is a lie?!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Investigating Officer, “Which spear did you use, sir?”
Homeowner, “Assagai I used.”

6 Likes

The only way to safely defend a short, narrow hallway is with a domesticated gelatinous cube.

15 Likes

I wouldn’t personally call that swinging a sword properly :wink:

It might be an SCA method or derived from European traditions, but that’s most definitely not traditional Katana handling. He has his hands reversed at one point…

(Source, I practice Iaido and study Japanese swords to the point of being quite annoying :wink: )

But yes I am also quite suprised to hear of someone not shooting in Texas. Luckily it sounds like the invader survived.

Also how long after the event was this interview? I feel like getting blood off my door would have been a pretty high priority.

6 Likes

Dwarf in the the back: “I fire my crossbow!”

6 Likes