Do you want to explain this closure?

I’m sorry. Was I being too chatty?

An Irish seven-course dinner whenever he wants it?

4 Likes
4 Likes

Ok now that that is out of the way…

@codinghorror Would it not be possible to “hide” the first 5,000 posts in a thread (like the questions thread), similar to when a post has been repeatedly flagged and then just not load the post ID’s for those “hidden” posts unless the client either scrolled up or say clicked a button in the thread enabling viewing of said older posts?

4 Likes

Bummer. The forum that inspired me to start the game here managed to count all the way to and down from ten thousand without any technical difficulties.

I am going to have another look at this today to see if there is any way around it without major restructuring. No promises, this code is very complicated. The “stream” of ids is how we determine how many posts there are in a topic and your position, they are still in play even when the topic is collapsed.

4 Likes

Thanks. I know we have joked in the thread about breaking discourse but we don’t really want to.
And that thread has been very amusing to those of us participating.

4 Likes

Seriously – where is this stream? I’ve been looking at the responses, and can’t find them.

Tis here:

ooooh, thanks!

@japhroaig - you might want to take a look at this.

Personally I’d be happy to see the IRC come to life again. It been the same 8 or so of us idling there for years now.

1 Like

Oh. For that, I can probably help once I get some of my other April responsibilities and/or projects a little more done. :slight_smile:

well even if you open it, the act of opening a 10k post topic will close it as a side effect… only way to disable this is globally and with the site setting.

Your QA went over it before live deploying and/or releasing right?

Sorry, inorite? Obviously a rhetorical question.

No one QAs web software anymore before deployment and I know it. 16 years of working in QA made me ask though.

– Former member of a dying profession

6 Likes

Er?

I use IRC every day…at my job in order to talk to my seven person engineering team, my manager, my peers, etc.

It never went away.

2 Likes

Nobody QAs any software these days it seems like. Just today at work I was asking myself, “FFS, who tested this shit?”

Nobody. The answer is nobody.

3 Likes

My kindle devices all agree.

As a former QA engineer, I’ve written long letters to Lab126, which is the division of Amazon that makes the kindle, informing them of five or so bugs that persist in every version of their software. They’re all still there.

“Pay for QA? Fuck that. Let’s just hire another couple of developers. Our developers write perfectly fine code and we don’t need QA.”

1 Like

It’s getting rarer, there seems to be this horribly misconceived idea that if you do test-driven development that heap of automated unit tests obsoletes QA. But QA’s not gone, it’s just dying. I work with the QA team at work all the time to make sure they understand things, let them know what I think are the more fragile areas that need careful attention, etc.

2 Likes

I’m sure they number many and are as greatly compensated as the dev team…

When I worked at Microsoft, it was considered bad if there was not at least one QA engineer for every two or so developers. One per three was definitely considered bad.

Then I come to Silicon Valley, the mecca of software, and find companies with eight QA people and 100 developers… or just no QA at all.

Google really kickstarted this trend.

2 Likes

Don’t get me started on “Agile” development.

1 Like