Doctor Who's real name is d³∑x²

Damnit, forgot that one. Wasn’t there a Doctor Puntastic in there as well?

1 Like

We need to know what d and x are equal to.

I think so. I need to go back to all of the season 9 episodes and pull out all the names he’s spouted off. I’m sure there must be half a dozen by now.

1 Like

Same rooftop?

10 Likes

This is a reference to the 1979 story The Armageddon Factor, in which the Doctor meets a classmate of his who calls him “Theta Sigma.” In The Happiness Patrol, the Doctor mentions that this was just a class nickname, not his true name.

(That formula also appears on the obelisk in The Five Doctors though. Make of that what you will…)

4 Likes

Sum from what to what? I hate to think of the Doctor as divergent, much less having a radius less than one.

wow, great catch!

Too late

1 Like

I’d like to think that the correct pronunciation of d³∑x² would be ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

6 Likes

Isn’t he winking?

Yeah, well be sure and dig on this, too…

Funk upon a time
In the days of the Funkapus
The concept of specially-designed Afronauts
Capable of funkatizing galaxies
Was first laid on man-child
But was later repossessed
And placed among the secrets of the pyramids
Until a more positive attitude
Towards this most sacred phenomenon,
Clone Funk,
Could be acquired

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that’s meant to be a theta not a ‘d’. It all started with his old schoolmate Drax calling him Theta Sigma in Armageddon Factor (it was a school nickname, not his real name). The show has been making sly references to it ever since.

7 Likes

great catch, but that’s not theta on the top row of the right side of the obelisk.

In ascii, the closest representation would be “d3”, as per the original poster.

Just as the capital sigma generally implies some sort of summation and the x^2 typically means “square of a variable”, so the “d3” can be widely interpreted as “third partial derivative.”

But Who knows?

The theta symbol has lots of variants–some look look like a ‘d’ (this one is upside down, but there are lots of variations).

1 Like

Here’s Theta Sigma again.

6 Likes

Lenny face? I hadn’t seen him winking before but it appears that he does sometimes.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°) ᕦ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ᕤ ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡o ͜ʖ ͡o)͡ ° ͜ʖ ͡ - ( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °) ( ͡ ͡° ͡° ʖ ͡° ͡°) (ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡ °) (ʖ ͜° ͜ʖ) [ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°] ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ ( ͡o ͜ʖ ͡o) { ͡• ͜ʖ ͡•} ( ͡° ͜V ͡°) ( ͡^ ͜ʖ ͡^) ( ‾ʖ̫‾) ( ͡°╭͜ʖ╮͡° ) ᕦ( ͡°╭͜ʖ╮͡° )ᕤ

1 Like

I’d go with “three-sided die” myself

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.