Documentary about the rise and fall of Tower records

Some brains are born somewhat stoned as their default state. No need for weed! :smiley:

2 Likes

Records will live almost forever thanks to the Voyager Golden Records.
It is also the simplest medium to understand should any extraterrestrial civilisation ever stumble upon them.

4 Likes

Is a “a knife is opening in my pocket” a local colloquialism? I like it.

2 Likes

Now I can picture hipster aliens going nuts over that record.

3 Likes

I was going to make the same Borders comment upthread. For me, its particular fascination was the bins and bins of art posters, but I loved everything about that store.

It’ll be a real collectors piece with only two in existence.

Know Knew Books?

wait, that was the ONLY Borders at that time? it was just that one location, the old victorian house, before it became a national chain? I used to go there all the time with my mom when I was in pre and elementary school. the top floor had all the TinTin books, and later, D&D.

2 Likes

Oooooh… jealous!

bodacious!

2 Likes

4th & Broadway Tower was amazing, I’d go there to kill time and end up finding out about some music I could never imagine. They had a decent book/magazine section which eventually became its own store in a building one block east.

97 when I moved to Tokyo I was pleased to see that Tower Records in Shibuya was just as big and interesting and also had a whole floor of import books and magazines. Its still there but over the years theres less new/interesting music there (that stuff just doesn’t sell so well) and the books/magazine is now half a floor of space and mostly Japanese stuff with a few import magazines. Honestly the only reason I go any more is I have a standing order for the print version of the UK edition of Future Music.

2 Likes

I bought my first album (that I can recall) at the Electric Fetus in St. Cloud - Talking Heads’ 77. That’s also where, a few years later when I was in collitch @ nearby St. John’s, I bought my first Einsturzende Neubauten album. Cut-out bin, but heck.

3 Likes

Ah, that’s the EN LP I got at the SC, MN EF.

2 Likes

I was at UT '96 to '99, and bought several albums at that store. Never knew it had been a theater just years before. I thought the mural was appropriate to the store. In 1997 I went to a magazine-signing by a Playboy Playmate at that store. That’s how I discovered that I don’t want to be the kind of guy who goes to magazine-signings by Playboy Playmates.

+1 for Slacker.

3 Likes

Yup, a direct translation.

2 Likes

and @GilbertWham

I remember seeing a Lynda Barry comic as a kid–probably same timeframe as my posts ITT, actually–I think it was in the RAW compilation. In it, there was a girl she and her brother hated and every time they passed her residence, they would literally “give her the finger in our pockets.” Which is hilarious.

Shaddack, your expression is simultaneously less literal but has far more meaning. Yeah, I like it. Very much.

2 Likes

If you met me in person, you might find me peculiar, but certainly not “naturally stoned”. “Mile a minute” is a better description.

1 Like

I gotta say, that was the golden summer. I had made some excuse or another for staying in Austin to attend summer school, instead of returning to Arlington. The area right around U.T. just seemed to empty out (a nice change) and the apartment above mine was still vacant. I had a class with David Wevill though it was many years before I actually learned about him (i.e. his past). Dan Del Santos (whose voice had to be heard to be believed) was still a DJ at KUT-FM, and there was nothing like cruising through a semi-empty city, late at night, with him on the air.

Oh yeah, and then Slacker came out…

1 Like

You might have been there just in time to see them close a coffee joint so they could open a coffee joint.

IIRC, at first the upstairs area just sold videos, so the movie mural kind of made sense. One thing that kind of lost its context, is that there used to be a fire escape along that wall. There was an image from Safety Last so it looked like Harold Lloyd was hanging from the fire escape. They re-did it so it looked like he was hanging from a film frame.

I spent too much time and too much money in Nashville’s Tower on West End. It made me a little sad when it was replaced by f.y.e. but even sadder when the whole building–which was originally built in 1929–was torn down.

3 Likes