Documentary of Marine Corps boot camp training

[Read the post]

Worst in this process of surrender was the ruthless refusal to permit a man the slightest privacy."

3 years at a Military College with 49 other unfortunates all sleeping / farting / showering etc. Makes you savor even the few minutes you get to take a poo poo in private, that is a toilet stall with no doors kinda private.

7 Likes

sounds like parenting…

9 Likes

It definitely prepared me for that. Good observation Sir.

7 Likes

My thought exactly. Also the bit about

It is a process of surrender. At every turn, at every hour, it seemed, a habit or a preference had to be given up, an adjustment had to be made. Even in the mess hall we learned that nothing mattered so little as a man’s own likes or dislikes … Worst in this process of surrender was the ruthless refusal to permit a man the slightest privacy.

2 Likes

Do we learn what Pyle’s major malfunction was?

5 Likes

Turns out it was piles.

5 Likes

What, didn’t you all watch Full Metal Jacket?

2 Likes

Oh, I remember basic training. I recall the whole flight standing at attention in front of our foot lockers somewhere barely north of 5 AM.

“UNLOCK YOUR LOCKERS NOW!” …and the sound of 30-ish locks being opened…and then screaming:

“DID I TELL YOU TO TAKE THE LOCK OFF THE LOCKER? DID I TELL YOU TO REMOVE THE KEY FROM THE LOCK? DID I TELL YOU TO DO FUCK ALL OTHER THAN TO UNLOCK THE LOCKER, AIRMAN? NO I DID NOT AND THANK YOU FOR THE PUSHUPS AND THE KP DUTY YOU’RE GONNA DO NOW!!!”

I believe that was the same morning our instructor discovered some folks hoarding candy in their bedposts. It was not a good day.

10 Likes

He couldn’t hack it SIR!

2 Likes

[quote=“wrecksdart, post:9, topic:78633”]
I believe that was the same morning our instructor discovered some folks hoarding candy in their bedposts.[/quote]
That is easily the most adorable thing I’ve read all day.

8 Likes

Interesting, but after the first ten minutes or so I can’t understand a single thing being said other than yes/aye (aye?)/no, sir.

V: 8 A: 3

This is why you fight the state and the military, instead of being a coward and being intimidated through simple shouting to fight for these dickheads and die for them. Its simple, shout back at them like you would your kid brother and tell them to F off…

I haven’t watched the documentary yet, but supposedly the shouting of contradictory orders are regarded as analogous to the chaos of combat.

1 Like

I like the way after 5 minutes, the drill sargeants have lost their voices from yelling. Can’t help but think having camera crews floating around had them overdoing it.

5 Likes

These days you volunteer to get yelled at. It’s only fair to let them. That being said, I’m pretty sure that yelling back at them to fuck off gets you a spot on the nowhere train to nowhere. Excessive insubordination probably gets you drummed out pretty fast- which if that’s your goal, why join at all?

6 Likes

nope. A DI wakes up overdoing it.

5 Likes

I always found this stuff kind of funny: Many other nations manage to produce effective soldiery, who respect heirarchy even under stress, without this kind of “domination and brainwashing” campaign.

I mean sure, there are of course people out there who like this sort of thing. Love it, even.
But the rest of these poor bastards have to actually function in the real world.

There’s nothing like having some chimp screaming in your face to make you willing to kill furriners.

“Sir, the private belives any answer he gives will be wrong and the Senior Drill Instructor will only beat him harder if he reverses himself, SIR!”

4 Likes