Documentary on Swedish kids growing up without rigid gender roles

Here. All the comments are here. BB is my internet comment machine. I don’t go munching wheat raw in the field, and I don’t read comments on the interwebs.

I occasionally go through the comments on YT videos, as well as on other sites. Even though i know it will be full of negativity i find the occasional read an exercise of mindfulness. There’s days i want to be an asshole when replying to someone and i try to have something worthwhile to say, and if i don’t i just close it out and leave it alone.

I know it wasn’t your intent but I hate that the way you quoted me makes it look like I said women aren’t good at math.

1 Like

It certainly wasn’t the intent. It’s a shame anyone said that to you ever because it’s such unmitigated BS. :rage:

1 Like

This is such a problem. A well meaning relative recently said to one of our 5 year old twin girls:

so are there any boys in your class that you have crushes on?

I was like, why would you even go there, at age 5? We do not say crap like that to our kids and I never will.

I am not a big fan of this “anyone can be any gender at any time, it is all in your head” concept, but I completely agree kids should be free to be kids and be and do whatever they want without adults pushing an explicit gender narrative on them. That is bullshit.

1 Like

Thank you for that!

I vividly remember relatives saying things like that to me at an early age (“I bet you’re a little ladykiller! Got a steady girlfriend yet, tiger?”) and thinking that I must be doing something wrong. Plus I had the usual group of bullies calling kids fags, so I didn’t know what I was supposed to be.

I just know that if my little nephew wants to cook, the last thing in the world I want is for him to think that cooking is something a “real man” would never do. Or that if he wants to wear a pink shirt, that it’s somehow bad (which he’s also been told).

2 Likes

My relatives pulled this on me repeatedly growing up and always made me deeply uncomfortable. Hell they still do that to me and i’ve never liked it, i don’t think of myself asexual but a lot of the time i have no sexual interest in people and repeatedly being asked or told that i should be chasing women really annoys me.

But of course if a kindergartener says they want to marry their same-gender friend, they’re “too young to know their sexuality”. You’re only “too young” for knowing you’re not heterosexual, apparently.

1 Like

People don’t give kids enough credit. There’s definitely a lot they don’t know and wouldn’t be able to understand until much older, but that doesn’t mean that the things they feel or think are wrong. Also kids are definitely more incisive than adults give them credit for.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.