Does a 20-ingredient chocolate cake tastes better than a 2-ingredient chocolate cake?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/01/does-a-20-ingredient-chocolate.html

3 Likes

There’s no such thing as “a two ingredient” cake.

If you have to add water, that counts.

30 Likes

funny that he apologizes for the “3rd ingredient” (water) after using a chocolate bar that probably has 5 ingredients itself.

21 Likes

Which one was the best? Spoiler – they all were!

aw come-on – that’ll only serve to truculent us up. how about normalizing it to number of ingredients? then “2-ingredient” wins “per capita”

1 Like

why did he need to add the water? without it would his “frosting” just harden into a chocolate-bar shell on top?

Don’t know what to say, literally speechless …

I was totally baffled when the 2-ingridient “cake” went into the heat of the oven; WHY?

This was a very good making-of for a mousse au chocolat, up to the moment it was not put into the fridge?!?

3 Likes

The cake recipe that’s be in my family for a few generations has very few ingredients: chocolate, eggs, sugar, butter, a tiny bit of flower, a bit of rum or vanilla. This is half uncooked mousse-like, half cooked (eating the raw eggs has never been an issue). Here you go, a family tradition. You’re welcome.

6 eggs
1/2 pound buttered, softened
1 12-ounce package chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar (xxx sugar)
2 tablespoons rum or vanilla or strong coffee
1 pinch salt
2 tablespoons bread crumbs (or flour)
7 or 8" spring form pan, well-buttered and floured (9 1/2" spring form pan for double recipe), or use a straight-sided pan if you don’t have a spring form.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Melt the chocolate chips over very low heat or in a microwave. Set aside to cool.

In large electric mixer bowl, beat butter well.

Separate eggs.

Add one yolk at a time to the butter, beating after each yolk.

Add cooled chocolate, sugar, rum (or vanilla or coffee), and pinch of salt and beat well.

In smaller mixer bowl, beat egg whites until they form stiff peaks. If stiff enough, the eggs will not fall slide out of the bowl when you turn it upside down. Beat just to this point, and don’t overbeat.

Fold egg whites into chocolate/butter mixture, very lightly so the egg whites don’t collapse.

Pour about 1/3 (or 1/2) of this mixture into a small bowl, and chill in refrigerator for a short time. It should remain soft enough to spread easily.

Add the two tablespoons of bread crumbs or flour with the remainder of the mixture. Mix lightly. Pour into buttered cake pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 30-35 minutes (50-60 minutes for double recipe) or until a tooth pick inserted into the center comes up clean.

Cool on a rack.

If you are using a spring form pan, add remaining chilled mixture to top, and cool or place in freezer. Remove side of pan and serve. If using a straight-sided cake pan, turn pan upside down to remove cake and spread rest of mixture on top as you would frosting. Cool or freeze and serve.

13 Likes

The best way to make a chocolate cake is not at all. Pineapple upside down cake is infinitely superior.

4 Likes

Barry Lewis did a somewhat similar one recently with mousse. But in his recipe his factor is time, though the 2 minute one is very simple compared to the 2hr one ingredient-wise

2 Likes

Chocolate Mousse?
giphy

12 Likes

The thing that no one really tells you about even the most basic cooking is that technique is just as important as the ingredients used. It’s one of the reasons I like “Cooks Illustrated”.

I spent years working on brown gravy for chicken and finally I have it pretty much mastered. Enough so that my wife will literally eat it out of the pan.

2 Likes

You can tell that man drinks gasoline.

1 Like

You have made a powerful enemy on this day.

spits

1 Like

You…have an interesting obsession. I share your gravy obsession- with good biscuits.

Ok- so…I can definitely recommend you NOT watch the vid high…damnit now I just want chocolate cake. Badly. And nothing near me is open for at least 8 hrs.

Maybe I should bake…again?

6 Likes

@Grey_Devil
Definitely going to give that two minute mousse a try with the kiddo! Thanks

In the spirit of sharing low-ingedient recipes, I can recommend this chocolate custard. We cut the sweetener altogether and just put strawberries on top to balance out the dark chocolate:

3 Likes

30 seconds in, and thinking: that’s a lot of salt for a cake.

1 Like

You can’t do that!

3 Likes

“Taste”, not “tastes”.

2 Likes

Needs more @frauenfelder (Typo in headline, Mark)

(Or is this just the latest in US English pluralising anything that moves anyway(s), folk(s), in the hope(s) that it will stick? /snarkycynicism) :wink:

oooh I really would like to get into this but I’m afraid I just don’t have the taste-bud…