Does the creepy Santa mask from "It's a Wonderful Life" exist somewhere?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/25/does-the-creepy-santa-mask-fro.html

3 Likes

Maybe Jingle Dale (Wild at Heart) has one?

2 Likes

I’m cool with just a pocketful of Zu Zu’s petals. Happy happy everybody.

5 Likes

Yeah, ha! Paste it, Daddy is something my daughter likes to say when she needs my help.

1 Like

Hmm. A replica with eyeballs that track faces. (A video camera feeding a Pi running TensorFlow or similar.)

Santa marks used to be quite common. In old photos of children with Mr. Claus as well as silent films with Santa, you can see that Kris Kringle was usually portrayed by someone wearing a mask.

I saw one of these at an antique show in Dallas about five years ago; I slowly backed way, avoiding eye contact.

1 Like

So where’s a picture of this mask?

3 Likes

It’s around the boy’s neck in the picture (took me a while to notice it too).

ETA: Oh God, just noticed the one around the neck of the younger boy-had previously only noticed the one on the bigger kid. Now I get why it’s so disturbing.

Killing a Santa and skinning his face for a mask is an old festive tradition among my people.

5 Likes

collect as many pictures as possible to make a scan, enter that (w/ appropriate software) in a 3d printer. Viola!

1 Like

are the two masks in the picture the same?

I have nothing about It’s A Wonderful Life, so here’s a Santa brawl in compensation.

1 Like

Have this.

The one thing I can take from this is that Ayn-caps started the war on Christmas.

8 Likes

I got a creepy old painted papier-maché half-mask (not Santa-related), at a antique/tchotchke shop in the Sierra foothills, relatively recently, that has a little sticker on the inside, reading “©1960”. So, it’s not beyond belief that a similar mask from 1946 might still survive (although I suppose a copyright notice dated 1960 doesn’t mean this particular mask is that old… although it wouldn’t surprise me if it were).

2 Likes

200w_d

2 Likes

Creepy doesn’t begin to cover it.

2 Likes

Otay.

Hello, friend.

“She has the Marks of Santa! Burn her!”

2 Likes