Does this "MAGA is Weird" commercial promote lookism?

I may just be restating the obvious (and the point of @t3knomanser original post), but I think the Harris campaign is going for the ‘ick’. Calling T*** and his surrogates old and weird (or young and weird in the case of JDV) likely has the aim of putting them into the ‘gross’ category of people you don’t ever want to be associated with for young voters. Not nice, but might even work.

2 Likes

I’m sure you’re sincere, and I understand your distaste for current politics. But this is like the “is it okay to punch Nazis?” discussion of a year or two ago, and I think that has been definitively answered.

Yes, it’s okay. It’s always okay.

As for the appearance of the actors, they look pretty ordinary to me. If you saw any one of them on the street you wouldn’t give them a second glance. Using Hollywood-level pretty faces would be much less honest. Their expressions match the words they are saying, and that’s part of the message.

13 Likes

Your headline made me expect a much uglier ad than this. These are ordinary-looking people doing a nicely creepy job of acting like creeps. The sweatiness is a bit over the top, but in a funny way, it seems to me.

I wonder sometimes if people have been so inundated with surgically and digitally enhanced imagery of humans that they have grown to find ordinary people hideous. These guys are not particularly ugly to me.

19 Likes

This. Not weird. Creepy.

7 Likes

Yep. Kick the fucc out of those weirdos.

2 Likes

jvsjo7l8knfd1

16 Likes

That’s actually gross.

:face_vomiting:

14 Likes

Oh, good. Tone policing. That won’t keep the psycho who wants to make my EXISTENCE illegal out of office. But at least our tone will be correct, and we won’t be engaging in “lookism.”

14 Likes

My thoughts too. As far as I care everyone can look their eyes out at MAGA if it helps win the election. It’s what they do all the time anyway

3 Likes

To anyone concerned about the ad promoting “lookism” fear not:

9 Likes

We need a Dump look alike getting mashed potatoes thrown on him. It happened to El Dumpy when he was a child when he wouldn’t leave his brother alone at the dinner table. His Mom was sick of it and dumped a big bowl of mashed potatoes on him. It was, according to Mary Trump, one of the most humiliating things that ever happened to him. I don’t know about that, but we could give it a shot.

8 Likes

Make It So Patrick Stewart GIF

4 Likes

I was wondering if they could make this ad with a conventionally attractive character, and then I realized I’d seen that.

John Hamm’s Trump inspired character on Fargo is conventionally handsome, but still comes across, ultimately, as CREEPY and WEIRD. It’s much more about what they’re saying than how they look.

4 Likes
4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.