Dog is one happy traveler

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/06/dog-is-one-happy-traveler.html

9 Likes

image image

28 Likes

Aww, it’s R2K9.

6 Likes

Um, dogs don’t smile. They physically can’t. Open mouth usually means it’s panting. To me it looks like it’s panting and probably a bit stressed. Hopefully won’t have to be in there for too long. Such a good dog.

7 Likes

it’s been researched that they do indeed make facial expressions in response to human interaction and attention

“The current study is therefore evidence that dogs are sensitive to the human’s attentional state when producing facial expressions, suggesting that facial expressions are not just inflexible and involuntary displays of emotional states, but rather potentially active attempts to communicate with others.”

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-12781-x

8 Likes

Um, yes they can.

10 Likes

Now I know where this came from:

7 Likes

I think this dog is too hot because a suitcase hasn’t got appropriate ventilation. Why would he be happy in there?

1 Like

Came here for the “actually, that expression indicates [advanced renal failure / killing rage / chronic pet abuse / etc]”; was not disappointed.

9 Likes

I used to have one of these, when you open the flap of the luggage the dogs head pokes out, pants a couple of times, and pulls the flap closed again. It’s the most useless dog in luggage in the world.

1 Like

They seem to have the muscles and structures necessary to smile. They also seem to have the emotional tools necessary. I guess my question is, who told you that so that you thought you should repeat it?

4 Likes

I’m betting it was a cat. Cat propaganda is insidious.

16 Likes

My dog is smiling right now.

9 Likes

Well I’m a veterinary nurse and I did an MSc in animal welfare and I’m currently doing a PhD on health in working farm dogs in New Zealand. So I think I can recognise when a dog is panting. There are too many “cute” animal pictures circulating that actually show animals in various stages of stress. This is not by any stretch the worst, but it did get posted on a forum that’s usually not too risky for people going against the consensus so I thought I’d point it out.

1 Like

Excellent job at moving the goal post there KatjaKat. I never said dogs don’t pant or that the one pictured was not panting. I made no comment whatsoever with respect to that dog.

What I replied to and quoted to make sure you knew what I was replying to was

So, with your training and education, perhaps you can share with us what you have learned from your veterinary nursing and post grad education that would lead you to make the statement that dogs are not physically capable of smiling.

2 Likes

I’ve dogs that laugh.

1 Like

Happy dog?

4 Likes

It appears to be downward-facing dog.

4 Likes

Ah, no dogs smile at the vet!

6 Likes

Dog is auditioning for an all-dog production of Endgame.