Dog scolds lions for laying in its field

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/10/dog-scolds-lions-for-laying-in.html

2 Likes

Maybe a little scolding, but that pup is wagging it’s tail, so there is a lot of play there too.

edit: Upon rewatching the vid, I have come to the conclusion that the pupper is actually the pack alpha, and it wants those lazy big doggos to get up and help it watch over the herd.

6 Likes

“I think I made my point.”

15 Likes

Lions are so amused that such a tiny snack animal would come and bebother them that they forget to eat it.

10 Likes

Sorry, for me that was about as funny as watching a baby playing with a loaded gun.

9 Likes

I am so surprised doggie didn’t become lunch. But there’s a great big herd of some sort of antelope there, too. I’ll bet those lions are well fed by zookeepers.

2 Likes

I love the look the lions give each other as the dog runs off. Like “What the heck was that all about?”

21 Likes

Lions: “Twat. He’ll see what’s what when we’ve digested enough to get hungry - and mobile enough to run again”

(Q: Video was fuzzy. Anyone know what sort of dog? Could have been one of those wild things found in Africa, and IIRC those things know no fear and will take on anything.)

1 Like

Hmmph. Dogs and cats - whatever the size…

2 Likes

between the looks and vocalizations that was likely an african wild dog/domestic dog hybrid. He wasn’t trying to eat the lion, but being aggressive and quick works pretty well at making even a big apex predator decide to mosey off somewhere more chill.

There a reason that Rhodesian Ridegebacks, bred to hunt lions, have a lot of wild dog in their bloodline.

3 Likes
5 Likes

Here’s a video of bear dogs at Koeye Camp in British Columbia, a youth camp run by the Heiltsuk . They do this all the time :slight_smile:

2 Likes

With my heart beating in eigtht time, I would have gotten my dog out of there so f…ing fast, the lions wouldn’t have seen me coming and going. Why is this funny when a dog is in danger? Is animal cruelty funny too?

Things really have gotten worse!

3 Likes

So, no dogs near lions because dogs, and also because lions:

1 Like

I think those lions are lying, not laying?

(Unless I missed the part where eggs come out of their butts.)

9 Likes

Well, I’m not sure the dog in the lion video was not a feral dog; in the video I posted, that’s what those dogs do. Remember dogs often have jobs, often dangerous ones. That’s how they got the gig (i.e. the symbiotic relationship with humans) in the first place :slight_smile: btw, I agree, I wouldn’t let my dog do anything dangerous, but I don’t view what the dogs in the bear video do as cruelty. They like to do it, are good at it, and the alternative may be worse for the bears they control.

1 Like

Al Oeming, proprietor of a once famous Game Farm near Edmonton Alberta, had a pack of big cats (Cheetahs, perhaps. don’t recall for sure ) with a dog as the Alpha. They were all in the same enclosure.

1 Like

am i the only one who thinks there’s something a little bit wonky about how that dog’s hind legs are moving?

8 Likes

Those lions are like, “What the hell just happened here?”

1 Like