Dogs are smarter than cats, but raccoons are off the charts crafty

Well done, rabbit.

4 Likes

Yeah the ones where my parents live in the North Houston area are pretty casual about getting in trash bins. If you put a cord on it they will try to get in it and then move on.

1 Like

there is (or was) a great documentary on Netflix about raccoons. this was a study of raccoons in… Toronto, i think. anyway, it turns out that not only do urban ones stick to a surprisingly small territory (bounded usually by major streets or other obstacles), they are also smarter than their rural cousins. living among humans is fast-tracking their intelligence, which is a scary thought.

8 Likes

Those fuckers fight out my window at like 3 in the morning and its an other wordly sound they make. In your groggy state with a fan mixing the sound it sounds like demons.

I think it may be fun to have a racoon or a cute otter as a pet, but with those hands I bet they get in to fucking everything.

5 Likes

ref

9 Likes

Sure…sometimes they decide to do that in your shoes. I’ve gotta agree with the original comment. Cats can be the worst in terms of behavior.

5 Likes

What What!

1 Like

I suggest an experiment. Borrow an octopus, and put it in the can (add water, if necessary). Skip the bungies. You’ll soon find out which is the most crafty creature (hopefully, the raccoons don’t like seafood).

3 Likes

He probably already stole someone’s credit card.

1 Like
2 Likes

In Toronto they successfully lobbied city council to include backdoors in the new bins.

12 Likes

I have three dogs, two are small enough (and nimble enough) to walk on keyboards. They don’t bother (or to be accurate, they did it a very limited number of times and were told “no”, and they now remember to not do it). However if you use a laptop only partly on one leg, and partly over the recliner, they will get on the recliner and under the laptop. It is a cozy den, and generates warmth.

2 Likes

Raccoons are not just smart and crafty they can also grow to a size that is intimidating.I’ve had them either climb or chew through fencing to get to cooking meat on a barbecue pit.

3 Likes

I think the ones in Stanley Park have mutant powers. (Look at those eyes.)

4 Likes

A neuroscientist gave the best answer, with some ‘measured neuron density shows dogs in the lead’ answer.

So dogs are as dense as lead?

4 Likes
6 Likes

9 Likes

HA! I’ve never had that happen, nor heard of it.

I’m thinking of the cats I’ve known versus the dogs I’ve known, and when a dog made a mess it was always a bigger mess-- knocking down furniture, ripping up curtains, chewing up everything. Cats maybe destroy a roll of toilet paper and leave confetti in the bathroom. Walking on your keyboard because they want attention is nothing compared to dogs howling and barking and whining because they want attention. Then there’s the issue of dogs chasing every animal they see when you’re out for a walk, as opposed to cats taking care of a mouse problem in your home. An actual working dog on a farm is a different story, but even as a house pet cats are handy with pest control.

7 Likes

If they don’t stand on their hind legs how can they grab my green bin and walk off with it.

3 Likes

Whenever the smartness of cats vs dogs comes up, I go to one of my favorite games, Victoria II. The game series includes an in-depth simulation of the Victorian era economy. It has capitalists, who will build factories and skim off the top. In the first game, a capitalist would choose a random manufactured good and build it. In Victoria II, capitalists attempt to take prices and demand into account when deciding which factory to build. The Victoria II AI feels dumber. Cats are the Victoria 1 AI.

1 Like