Donald Glover got his rap alter-ego name from a Wu-Tang name generator

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/28/donald-glover-got-his-rap-alte.html

2 Likes

well shit, first click and I got “Arrogant Ambassador”
I am going to be using that for sure.

2 Likes

“Lucky Desperado”. Got it for me in one as well.

4 Likes

“Thunderous Bandit”

3 Likes

Profound Contender

4 Likes

I got “Leprechn Gangstr”.

That seems odd.

7 Likes

Mad Destroyer

Hmmm. Not exactly subtle but hell, if that’s the price to pay to enter the Wu Tang, I’ll take it.

3 Likes

Respected Demon

3 Likes

Wait, he’s been recording as Childish Gambino since 2011? And here I thought he only dropped his first Solo project this past Friday.

3 Likes

I always knew the Gambino thing was a Wu reference just because I followed Wu Tang pretty closely, but didn’t know that the whole name was from a generator.
In addition to the kung-fu and Marvel comics nomenclature, they were doing mafia names for a while there. I think this is the first song where it was overtly in the title:

Man, that album is pretty much tied with Liquid Swords as their best.

I’m not really into Childish Gambino as a rapper but that soul album he did that was a clone of There’s A Riot Goin’ On/Fresh-era Sly Stone is surprisingly great (edit: it’s called Awaken My Love.) One of the songs is almost a total bite and yet I still couldn’t hate on it.

3 Likes

I didn’t intend to, but I ended up watching the whole thing. What a great discussion.

1 Like

“Ruff Swami.”

1 Like

"If I had known it was going to be something for real, I wouldn’t have used it."

I got Papasan, like over and over. I think I’ll play the lotto tomorrow.

6 Likes

4 Likes

“Respected Overlord”
I’ll take it…

1 Like

Pesty Leader

3 Likes

Hmmm… I suppose I shouldn’t be as disappointed as I am but I too was given “Arrogant Ambassador”

Can we crowdsource their full library of options this easily?

My hubby is “Sarkastik Killah” and when I typed in the full name of president 45 I got “Very Stable Genius” which we thought was pretty funny. Hard-coded, surely.

And then there’s…

3 Likes

Midnight Madman

I’m a big fan of alliteration so this is a good outcome for me :smiley:

3 Likes

It’s not entirely random:
Barack Obama --> The Preezy of the United Steezy
Donald Trump --> President Agent Orange

7 Likes