Donald Trump calls for termination of U.S. constitution

It is kind of funny (well it would be if these people were even dimly aware that other countries exist) that the pocket constitution cover is the same colour as an EU passport, and if you squint a lot it might even resemble one.

13 Likes

That’s intentional. A huge market for these pocket constitutions is those wacky militia types who believe they don’t need to have drivers licenses or car registrations or the like, and they use this as their “form of identification” when anyone but the “Sheriff” asks them for identification.

13 Likes

:notes: You’re more than a number in my lil’ Red Book :notes:

30 Likes

I guess if you can’t bend the law to your will, the next best thing is making sure the law doesn’t exist any longer.

17 Likes

It’d be a fun game if you had to drink every time you came to a passage TFG had violated.

12 Likes

Well, the other alternative is perhaps more attractive to the rest of us. (That his will does not exist any longer.)

14 Likes

I’m good with that.

13 Likes

I was going to come in an say that the GOP would claim he was only joking as a goof, but this is just the reality we live in.

10 Likes

“Don’t tread on me – I’ll do it myself”

14 Likes

What does this mangoshitstain have to do for it to be considered treason? The bar seems higher than for everyone else.

12 Likes

Honestly, and not defending him, but it’s highly unlikely we’ll ever see anyone charged with treason in this country, because it has extremely strict requirements.

First, we have to declare a war, and we don’t really do that anymore.

Second, it has to be an overt treasonous act witnessed directly by two people, and the courts have made it clear overt means basically directly giving aid and comfort to the enemy in person.

Now, as for sedition? What do you think all these oathkeeper trials and stuff are really about? They’re rolling up the org-chart.

11 Likes

Day Today GIF

It’s rare, but not unknown…

Well, you’re just not reading it the right way! They’re the ones reading it the right way!!! /s

15 Likes

These “freedom loving” sheep would do anything to put this authoritarian into power, including shred the Constitution that they claim is above all.

11 Likes

Raise taxes on the rich.

7 Likes

Nah, it’s only called Twitting if you do it on the toilet.

14 Likes

The important stuff is printed with lemon juice, in pig Latin, on the back

10 Likes

First thing that came up in my news videos this morning:

The focusing on laughter as a reaction to this really pissed me off. I can understand the disbelief, but it was cast as though this is a laughing matter when it absolutely is not.

What concerns me more are the pols in Congress (and former members of Congress) who swore an oath to it, but seem to shrug that off. We already know they’ve got plans to rewrite it, but since they don’t believe any rules apply to them I guess the point is to put that in there somehow.

31 Likes

And they have a special wacky version of the Constitution.

23 Likes

Yep. I can only imagine that that comes from the hubris of “it can’t happen here” mindset held by far too many white, middle class folks across political beliefs. But the actual people who study fascism and authoritarianism have been sounding the alarm for a while now. We ignore the experts at our peril, but sadly, far too many people dismiss academics who study the humanities, history, or the soft sciences as just giving their “opinion” on what could happen rather than holding a high degree of expertise on what can cause the rise of an authoritarian regime…

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

39 Likes

It’s interesting because what it’s clear Donald is asking for is something that isn’t the office of President. He’s asking for them to declare him God King. The office of president is created by the constitution. You can’t defend it and suspend it. So that’s not what he’s asking for.

He’s literally "meddlesome priest"ing the constitution.

21 Likes