Donald Trump campaign resumes in-person fundraisers in June. What COVID-19?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/29/donald-trump-campaign-doing-in.html

6 Likes

Sommelier: Good evening madam; would you like to sample the Hydroxychloroquine, the Lemon Pledge or the Kool-Aid?

48 Likes

Is that the recipe for a Liberal Tears?

Served on the rocks, natch.

29 Likes

It’s you, taxpayer, who is paying for these security measures for a non-essential campaign event for the obscenely wealthy.

18 Likes

Good thing so many of us have stopped being taxpayers all the sudden.

17 Likes

I wonder how many rich lemmings will want to pay to dine with this fool.

3 Likes

A year ago I never dreamt that Charles Darwin would be the biggest player in the 2020 elections.

19 Likes

I assume anyone willing to pay this sort of money must assume that they can manipulate Trump in order to profit from it… and they’re probably not wrong.

13 Likes

Guest list, please.

11 Likes

In theory, no. Every government dollar spent on a a campaign expense is an FEC violation. If Biden wins, and if he appoints someone honest to head the FEC, Trump might find himself with a big bill (and a probably-nominal fine). The appointee doesn’t even have to be especially aggressive: the FEC staff will go after Trump like Tasmanian devils, almost all the regular employees in DC hate Trump with a passion, and will work overtime to bring some respect back to their profession. They just need their boss to not muzzle them.

Of course, first things first: Biden has to win.

16 Likes

Biden must survive till then. That’s the tricky part. :face_with_head_bandage:

7 Likes

Biden should break tradition and name 2 US Attorney Generals. One will be charged with correcting legal injustices such as civil rights violations, soeed up pardons for minor drug crimes, etc. The 2nd AG will be charged with ferreting out all the corruption of our current age.

8 Likes

Attorney general needs to be confirmed by the Senate. All Biden needs is department heads who are competent and loyal to the country, and they need assurance that they will not have any investigations into the previous administration hobbled from above.

5 Likes

Stupid enough to expose oneself to COVID = stupid enough to contribute money to the re-election campaign of America’s foremost public grifter. Makes sense.

11 Likes

On some level I’m kind of hoping that this ends up being a problem that takes care of itself.

But for the collateral damage it’d be a fool-proof plan.

17 Likes

I’d rather have dept heads fixing the problems in their depts. Trumpy has dismantled much of the executive branch.

The amount of work that needs to happen will demand extra people in these positions. Sadly there aren’t many Harry Hopkins around.

1 Like

But these departments exist – many of them – to prevent things like election fraud, even at the presidential level. Fix the departments, they can go after the fraudsters. If this functionality is taken over by someone at the executive level, it will look like a political vendetta.

3 Likes

The one chance the Trump campaign has of victory in November is if people believe the narrative that we’re past the COVID-19 crisis, the economy is rebuilding, and Trump is the best person is to rebuild it. The sooner Trump pretends we’re past coronavirus, by doing things such as not wearing a mask, holding mass gatherings, etc., the sooner he gets point one going so he can work on points two and three. Unfortunately for him, the majority of people don’t believe this is true.

3 Likes

14 Likes

Just keep rolling those dice, you impeached blowhole. Sooner or later you’re going to crap out and catch this thing.

5 Likes