Donald Trump indicted

8 Likes

That’s awkwardly worded. People are presumed innocent, and the trial has to prove that he’s guilty.

9 Likes

Yeah, but I think she was very intentional in this case, since other people have been found guilty on the same events, so it’s a dig at him.

At least I hope it was. If not, that’s kind of problematic.

8 Likes

22 Likes

I wonder what’s in their prenup contract and updates. I don’t think Trump would put in anything that would penalize his own philandering.

15 Likes

I mean, that’s how he and Melania hooked up in the first place. I doubt she was ever naive enough to expect marital fidelity from that guy even if she hoped he’d be a bit more discreet about it.

16 Likes

On this “first time” thing, technically isn’t an impeachment being charged with a crime? And so Johnson and Nixon would have been the first presidents charged with a crime? IANAL.

5 Likes

10 Likes

Impeachment is a political process rather than a legal one so it’s a pretty different animal.

For example, an elected official can face impeachment and removal from office for conduct that may not be technically illegal at all so long as a majority of legislators decide it’s disqualifying conduct.

15 Likes

Seems like impeachment is a legal remedy conducted by politicians. I mean, the process is outlined in a legal document.

5 Likes

I saw this on the news last night before bed, and I dreamed someone was telling me Trump died of a heart attack in the night after being indicted (although because of the weird way dreams work, Trump was actually represented by Netanyahu.)

9 Likes

The impeachment process has many parallels to a legal trial but many important differences as well. For example there is no legal presumption of innocence (i.e. the people arguing for conviction in the Senate don’t have to prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt) and no mechanism for appeal.

14 Likes

Interesting. As always, the Federalist Papers help. The rabbit hole took me to Federalist 69, where Hamilton (writing as Publius) seems to indicate that the legal side of things could come after removal.

The President of the United States would be liable to be impeached, tried, and, upon conviction of treason, bribery, or other high crimes or misdemeanors, removed from office; and would afterwards be liable to prosecution and punishment in the ordinary course of law.

And in Federalist 65 (also writing as Publius)

A well-constituted court for the trial of impeachments is an object not more to be desired than difficult to be obtained in a government wholly elective. The subjects of its jurisdiction are those offenses which proceed from the misconduct of public men, or, in other words, from the abuse or violation of some public trust. They are of a nature which may with peculiar propriety be denominated POLITICAL, as they relate chiefly to injuries done immediately to the society itself.

There ya go, I guess.

10 Likes

Which makes sense since you wouldn’t want a bunch of congresscritters to have the authority to sentence a political rival to prison or even have them executed for capital crimes.

12 Likes

Wasn’t bibi indicted and now he’s prime minister again? So…

2 Likes

Depends on which side of the bars you’re on, I think…

3 Likes

Yeah well, about that…

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/23/middleeast/israel-judicial-reforms-prime-minister-law-intl/index.html

8 Likes

Yes, that’s one way of looking at this jailbird.

Not to spell out the obvious too much, but I was thinking that as a dream, that video is bad dream/nightmare fuel for sure (imagine being stuck in there with that disgustng monster!), while it’s a good dream generally to imagine him in prison (which is probably why so many Shoop artists have rendered that image).

So yeah, really does depend which side of the bars you’re on!

8 Likes
1 Like

I wonder if half the NYPD will join the MAGAts.

14 Likes