Donald Trump is suing my publisher, and its response is magnificent

I see your James N. Bailey, and I raise you:

5 Likes

Hot from the press, Bannon is leaving Leanbeard. (Ok, expected move…)

I’m a lawyer. Quite often when a blog that isn’t written or aimed at lawyers raves about a lawyer’s letter, my own view of the letter in question is that it’s cute and fun and I totally get the impulse to really cut loose, but it’s also completely unprofessional and probably didn’t improve the situation for the client at all. It’s like that JetBlue flight attendant that quit by sliding down the evacuation slide. It makes for a fun story and I bet most flight attendants can relate to feeling that way, but few people would say it’s behavior that should be emulated.

However in this case, this letter is absolutely a “fucking work of art”. Two thumbs up.

19 Likes

As i understand it, the danger for a lawyer (at least a celebrity one such as this one) is the potential loss of reputation and i suspect that Harder is betting that all the reputation loss will fall on Trump. So: no danger to him; he’s getting paid.

In general: these two paragraphs in that response letter are beautiful.

(…)

23 Likes

It’s possible that Trump won’t have time to do so. But even a Trump appointee doesn’t necessarily owe him the kind of loyalty he seems to demand but rarely earn. Note how all those Trump appointees unanimously rejected Trump’s attempt to prop up the coal industry.
The other thing that gives me hope is that even (and especially) a Trump appointee can recuse himself (gender chosen deliberately) from a court case involving Trump, or BE taken off the case.

2 Likes

As long as he gets paid in advance. Trump is such a skinflint that he even stiffs his own lawyers. Remember, this is a client that only pretends to be a billionaire, and most likely is over his eyeballs in debt to the Russian mob.

9 Likes

Now that is a nice lawyer’s letter.

Must have been great fun to write.

2 Likes

Russian mob, russian governemnt…potato, potahto.

8 Likes

Oh… Oh that last part. I grew up in a family of lawyers. This is what they always described as a " and f— you too " line

5 Likes

Say what one may about the problems the big publishers cause for authors, one has to admire them when they take a stand like this that may cost them millions to win if it goes that far.

They could far more more cheaply buy out the author’s contract I imagine and withdraw the book.

Good on them for telling the Idiot in Chief where and how to stick it and what shape to fold it into.

Beginning to make me long for the quiet, dignified and above board presidency of Andrew Jackson. My wife points out this clown makes the elder Bush look sane and responsible.

2 Likes

All is explained:

Assumption 0: Lawyers mostly do what their clients pay them to do, even if that thing is stupid. (Though sometimes after really trying to explain why that thing is stupid)

1 Like

One suspects that THEIR lawyers told them that the chance that a court would find against them was minimal. Indeed that the chance of this actually making it past the summary judgement stage was minimal.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.