Trump administration sues John Bolton to block publication of new book that claims presidential misconduct

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/16/trump-controlled-justice-depar.html

U.S. files breach-of-contract suit vs. former National Security Adviser John Bolton

9 Likes

i shouldn’t be too surprised at this rate with this dumb-show if “someone hacked into” bolton’s publisher’s server and leaked a chapter to the washington post.

18 Likes

I mean they don’t even need to do that. If only there was a book store that might have advance copies floating around their buyers office… and if only that book store was somehow connected to the Washington Post.

30 Likes

If only the books were printed in China…

13 Likes

Ideally, the entire book will be leaked and John Bolton won’t make any money off of the information he withheld from Congressional oversight.

77 Likes

That’s what’s known as a co :wink:ydence.

7 Likes

Bolton surely knew this was coming. What next Mr Stache?

“This is a transparent attempt to use national security as a pretext to censor Mr. Bolton, in violation of his constitutional rights to speak on matters of the utmost public import,” Mr. Cooper wrote. “This attempt will not succeed.” Mr. Cooper said the book would be published on June 23. -WSJ

13 Likes

Sure, because suing someone to silence them always works out so fantastically…

13 Likes

I hope the book hurts Trump, but imagine how many more copies Bolton could have sold if it had been an account penned by an American hero who came forward when the nation needed him and testified before Congress when it actually mattered instead of just another tell-all written by a self-serving coward.

Who is going to buy the thing now? The Trump supporters hate his guts because they think he’s a traitor and everyone left of Dick Cheney hates him because he’s a warmonger who blew the best chance we had to hold Trump accountable for his crimes.

Also, Bolton is nowhere near cool enough to co-opt that song from Hamilton.

45 Likes

Does it matter? This is all just stalling tactics to try and keep the book out of sight from Americans. trump claims he can classify a fart joke and Barr is hoping to tie it up in perpetual review.

Stinkers.

15 Likes

I think I saw Colbert flash a copy on screen last night.

19 Likes

I’ll wait to read the highlights later. But the fact that they aren’t ignoring it says to me that what he wrote should be largely true.

7 Likes

He can claim executive privilege, and that that information under that priv is classified, and the book just doesn’t happen.

2 Likes

I want to read it, but not buy it. What to do, what to do…

10 Likes

The waitlist at my library is long, but I am on it.

8 Likes

Prior restraint seems unlikely- he’ll have to try and sue for damages after publication.

Interwebs - start salting pdf copies around as insurance of access!

18 Likes

Fuck 'em. Publish the book and let the chips fall where they may.

7 Likes

If he claims executive privilege and they talk anyway, what would happen? Would they be held in contempt of douchery?

9 Likes

Ahhh there it is! More ammo to help vote out “republican” senators.

53 Likes

I remember thinking that one of the crappier things about the Trump presidency was this person resurfacing. That thought didn’t age well.

In hindsight the appointment of Bolton doesn’t make the list of crappiest things about this presidency. Bolton still sucks, and his precious book won’t do shit to change that, and won’t bring any relief from the onslaught of feces Americans face every day from this administration.

13 Likes