Donald Trump thinks the wheel was invented by Americans

Totally worth a try, if you ask me.

30 Likes

well now we might have self driving cars we might have to come up with a redeemer for the steering wheel

https://images.app.goo.gl/HDSSvqstfz2AQVCz7

2 Likes

Except that Trump probably thinks that Hot Wheels means sexytime on the back seat.

7 Likes

Wheel of Fortune then.

6 Likes

This takes a weird turn into some noble savage territory at the end. There was a mix of reasons the indigenous peoples of the Americas didn’t use the wheel for practical purposes (Some obvious like a lack of draft animals and others less so), but assigning some kind of innate altruism or aversion to exploiting the labor of others is bad history.

15 Likes

Lack might be too strong a word.
https://www.workingllamas.com/?id=93

2 Likes

It also felt a bit like anarcho-primitivism, which bothered me too.

6 Likes

Whenever the angry pumpkin says, “Americans”, what he really means is white people. He thinks white people invented the wheel. And he’s still wrong.

11 Likes

He thinks about wheels when playing his favorite game.

grand

7 Likes

Ack, yeah, I should have found the whole original source, which came from a Native American scholar. My intention was not to say that that was necessarily The One Great Truth, but that it was food for thought, relating to the wheel, and the people that get rewarded for innovation in America.

Sorry for screwing that up and injecting the noble savage imagery there. Definitely not my intention, but I see how it came off.

7 Likes

He was suggesting that wheels make roads inevitable, not that roads make wheels inevitable.

1 Like

-Quick, quick… think of things that have been invented-

“The light bulb, and… the wheel.”

-Whew! Nailed it!-

6 Likes

Originally, the wheel was invented to make pottery.

5 Likes

Yeah, but in Trump’s defense, he’s an idiot.

13 Likes

I think his current run has been renamed Wheel of Misfortune.

3 Likes

And it occurs to me that mountainous conditions were like those in parts of Japan, where through the 19th century, narrow paved highways had people carrying goods, even over long distances, entirely on foot. (Despite having both horses and carts.)

Americans tend to get taught that once something is invented, certain usages are inevitable, ignoring all the conditions that have to exist to make them practical.

6 Likes

George Washington invented the wheel in 1776, which allowed the Continental Army to decisively take control of the airports during the Revolutionary War.

14 Likes

He’s flipping through a mental rolodex that still holds the phone number for NYC mayor Robert Wagner.

3 Likes

Yes… but not in a Mammalian way.

6 Likes

I about popped my ear drums trying to not laugh aloud when one of the local Trumplovers got a letter to the editor in the local paper in which she credited America with inventing —

• the automobile (Nicholas Cugnot, 1769)
      • the telephone (Alexander Graham Bell was a Canadian, but an Italian, Innocenzo Manzetti first came up with the idea.)
      • jet aircraft (Englishman Frank Whittle, 1937)
      • the electric light (Humphrey Davy, 1802)
      • and a whole host of other things, most of which originated in Europe.

My gripe is that Trumpanzies never bother to check their assumptions. However, if they did, it would deprive them of their self-assumed position at the top of the intellectual food chain, so they will never take the attitude of “I may be wrong”.

5 Likes