Most Americans believe Trump has made race relations worse in America: Pew Research

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/09/most-americans-believe-trump-h.html

Americans have a mostly negative view of the state of racial progress under Trump.

10 Likes

Well, at least he solved sexism.

/s

13 Likes

What a shock that this survey falls roughly along party lines.

7 Likes

More than one person has made a credible claim that there are tapes of Trump using the N-word.

I can’t decide if releasing those tapes would make this situation better or worse, because if we did have proof of Trump speaking that way at least 40% of the country would reflexively adopt the position that there’s nothing racist about rich powerful guys using hateful ethnic slurs.

19 Likes

Oh, come on, it’s not Dolt-45 causing bad race relations, it’s just “economic anxiety”. No single politician or party is making race relations worse, they’re all equally bad.

[/s , since there are undoubtedly those who might want us to believe that]

Today’s news on this front:

17 Likes

Dude, it wouldn’t matter. No one who think’s hes a cool guy will suddenly think he’s a piece of shit. They’ve made excuses for every other god damn thing. He could fart in their wives’ faces and they would feel blessed. The best you could hope for is a few more people who are like, “Well, he IS a piece of shit, but he’s our piece of shit.”

And of course he has. He has blamed anyone and everyone as the “others” for the reasons for problems in America. And there are people who lap that up.

5 Likes

Is it technically possible to adopt a position already held?

9 Likes

I’ll be impressed if this number ever even approaches the number of Republicans who believe that Obama created racial divisions from whole cloth…

12 Likes

tumblr_pmdc3mIYBC1t0fre9_540

15 Likes

A lot of Americans thought Obama had made race relations worse too, which apparently he accomplished simply by being black in an office reserved for white men, so I’m not sure what any of these numbers really mean. A slight majority think Trump made it worse, unfortunately plenty still defend him while blaming any and every minority for racism.

14 Likes

And by worse they mean better.

9 Likes

Who says we have to wait until he is dead?

6 Likes

44% still idiots.

2 Likes

80% of Republicans believe Trump hasn’t made race relations worse enough

16 Likes

The 20% of GOP means “no”, of course. 18% of respondents in one survey agreed that the Sun revolved around the Earth. In brief, the GOP may be only 50% Trump voters back in the 2016 primaries, but most of the other 50% think that the last two years have not had any special levels of racism.

Just a huge synagogue shooting, a Muslim ban, kids in cages, 3000 dead in Puerto Rico, a Nazi march getting praise, and the media having to adapt to circumventing “shithole” as they did “pussy”.

Nothing too racist about all that, in the view of 80% of the GOP, that is, half the country.

3 Likes

I know it’s the language of the survey itself, but any phrase involving the word “race” can and should just be replaced with the word “racism.” Using the word “race” or constructions thereof in place of “racism” is a way to subtly normalize racism.

3 Likes

So… 56% of American adults have at least minimal brain function. I hold out hope that some of that 44% took that position because their view is that relations were already terrible and Trump just revealed rather than worsened that status… but I’m also willing to believe that 44% of Americans don’t have minimal brain function.

Thankfully the GOP aren’t half the country. They’re about a quarter of the country (with some portion of independents also holding similar views). The reality is that there are more Democrats and their positions are held by a majority of people in this country. That gets downplayed, and the two parties are constantly being portrayed as being of equal size and popularity because otherwise people would start to wonder why a minority has such power in elections and the US government.

6 Likes

Yes, a premature burial might be just the thing to cure what ails him. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The rest must get their news from outside of the dying boomer controlled media empire?

yep

https://thehill.com/policy/technology/438055-hateful-comments-force-youtube-to-shut-down-chat-on-livestream-of-house

11 Likes