Donald Trump's favorite Bible verse

More like Late-stage American Greed Posing Sanctimoniously as Christianity.

4 Likes

Trump must now become a Kenyan citizen? I’ll sign that petition.

For Trump:

Proverbs 1:7, The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.”

For his followers:

Hosea 4:6-7, My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.

As they were increased, so they sinned against me: [therefore] will I change their glory into shame.

Proverbs 1:22, How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity? and the scorners delight in their scorning, and fools hate knowledge?

1 Like

He wasn’t tight-lipped. As usual, he said a lot words, signifying nothing. I mocked him for not having a prepared answer to what all candidates get asked at one time or another. He could have said that he doesn’t think in this day and age that Bible scriptures are relevant to a presidential campaign. I would have applauded that. Instead, he just pulls some bullshit words out of his ass and it shows me how ill-prepared he is for even the Republican nomination because this matters to the GOP. It’s just another confirmation that we have a candidate who doesn’t do the most mimimal homework and seriously just phones it in.

7 Likes

19 Likes

Except that quote is actually from Hammurabi and the bible verse itself is a warning against that kind of behaviour. It even starts with “You have heard…”

Simply let your ‘Yes’ be ‘Yes,’ and your ‘No,’ ‘No.’ Anything more comes from the evil one. 38You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye and tooth for tooth.’ 39But I tell you not to resist an evil person. If someone slaps you on your right cheek, turn to him the other also;…
Matthew 5:38

1 Like

1 Kings 16:11

And it came to pass, when he began to reign, as soon as he sat on his throne, that he slew all the house of Baasha: he left him not one that pisseth against a wall, neither of his kinsfolks, nor of his friends.

because tyranny, because a wall, and because the construction “one that pisseth against a wall” for “man” is hella funny despite the horrible context.

1 Like

Actually, that’s the so-called “Apostle” “Paul” writing to Timothy.

So the proper phrase is “Fuck you, Saul of Tarsus, you can’t fool us with your fake-ass ‘conversion’. Go troll someone more gullible.”

4 Likes

You keep talking about Boing Boing as if it’s the de facto representative of “the Left.” While there might be left-leaning, left-aligned, uber-progressive, or whatever people who comment here, “the Left” isn’t some unified front and Boing Boing can’t take credit or blame or claim to represent the entirety of diversity that might entail “the Left.” Your attempt to pin down “the Left” to what a few individuals on a chat forum say negates any of your claims about “the Left.”

Trump hasn’t moved the GOP to the left. He’s moved them to the Trump, which isn’t really on a single axis spectrum, except to the far end of narcissistic and megalomaniacal.

And creating a false dilemma between a wall project that would be ineffective, expensive, over-budget, and an international relations nightmare and another terrible idea isn’t a valid argument.

11 Likes

Huh?

We’re mocking him for the usual Trump stuff: being a phony. Whether he’s a phony about religion or the specifics of his policies or how he will force Mexico to pay for a wall, it’s all the same bullshit-- made up bluster and machismo and no clue as to what he’s actually talking about.

14 Likes

What do you have against Kenya, that you would do that to them? :wink:

3 Likes

2 Kings 2:23-24

1 Like

It worked out well for china…oh wait…it was a stupid idea even back then. :slight_smile:

I believe the publisher of BoingBoing is an avid Clinton supporter, don’t expect them to stop anytime soon.

3 Likes

Interesting how much of the Bible is derivative from the Sumerian and Babylonian mythological cannon. Reading Stephenson’s ‘Snow Crash’ piqued my interest in that topuc enough to look into it further, and it completely changed my perspective on Judaism and Christianity.

2 Likes

I was with you until you said that I should vote for an avowed acolyte of Kissenger. War is part and parcel of HRC. Although I will not even consider a vote for Trump, using the propensity for war and violence to suggest Clinton is a safer bet is just wrong. In that regard, Trump is an unknown quantity. Clinton has PROVEN her proclivity for arms proliferation and interventionist violence for a decade or two now. If I’m given a choice between those two turds, I won’t give my consent to either.

2 Likes

There are alternatives

9 Likes

[quote=“subextraordinaire, post:44, topic:77683, full:true”]
He wasn’t tight-lipped. As usual, he said a lot words, signifying nothing. I mocked him for not having a prepared answer to what all candidates get asked at one time or another. [/quote]

We probably have different ideas of what qualifies as a lot of words. I view his responses as terse and guarded. Obviously if he came and said outright that he’s not a very religious man, he’d never fly with the GOP. He seems to do what most politicians do… go to church and go through the motions, regardless of whether they believe or not. We live in a nation where being openly agnostic is political death. We’re starting to see exceptions, and that’s a great thing, but you won’t see the GOP give up on it just yet.

You can say he’s not doing his homework. You have a right to that opinion. Evidence is on his side though that he either did his homework or didn’t need to do it in the first place and rightly invested his time elsewhere. He’s become the GOP nomine after facing off against 17 opponents, while far under-spending those that made it out of the gates. Considering that religion is very important to the GOP, he’s done well enough on the issue to avoid losing or even slowing his landslide win. Cruz hammered Trump on religion and got nowhere. He held the line pretty good for a man that didn’t do his homework!

Democrats needed a nominee that could win on merit. They needed someone with a clean closet and sound policies. They had someone like that until they went all in for Hillary before the primary even started. President Trump will be deserved punishment for some, a call to action for others, and an acceptable compromise for most.

In any case, I’m voting Trump over Hillary. So please keep the Trump articles coming. Positive or negative, it all wins votes for him!

I think that may be true, though I don’t have time to Google it. Even so, it doesn’t change the meaning of the passage much, and the bible, in several other passages, frequently alludes to the difficulties wealth presents to spiritual attainment. But the Republican approach to Christianity has long been a sort of ‘pick and choose’ sort.

In the New Testament, sure. Exodus 21:24 is still the Bible, though. And much more Trump’s style. I suspect he’s also a fan of Exodus 20:5.