Donald Trump's still running, but the campaign's over

I’d said bye before, but somehow have fallen back into the black hole. Good luck in the negaverse.

8 Likes

Yeah, I remember a post going around (e.g. on a relative’s page) claiming that the election would be rigged, and this could be “proven” by going to a candidate’s page and seeing how many of one’s friends had “Liked” the page. Most of my FB friends didn’t like one page or another (i.e. 12 for this one, 12 for that one, and a couple hundred that didn’t do it at all).

1 Like

So where exactly is this conversation going? I don’t sense an end in sight nor anything that seems to be a segue to action.

Nowhere, and I accept responsibility for the lack of overall benefit. I just think the world doesn’t change because very smart world leaders give us villains, and scare us so much that we will accept anything to oppose them.

It’s why repressive regimes around the world can starve people to death and and yet the starving stand behind them against the Great Satan. It’s why people strap on bomb vests and stroll onto buses full of innocent people, and why their opposition can casually level neighborhoods full of innocent people in response. So long as we just keep our eyes on our perceived villains, we feel justified when we become villains ourselves.

I can no longer take part in that, and it distresses me that there seems to be no end to the success of the tactic.

I know a lot of people voting for Trump, almost all of whom don’t fit the conventional blueprint of those who actively support him. They’re all racist. They’re all sexist. The people who are truly conservative are saying “don’t vote for Trump; it’s better to lose the presidency than have this petulant child in charge”. They recognize that Trump is more dangerous (for the country, and the party) than not being able to appoint a Supreme Court justice or two.

The people who say they’re voting for Trump solely because of the Supreme Court aren’t actually telling the truth. There’s more to it, or they wouldn’t be voting for him.

Meanwhile, the people voting for Clinton might mention the Supreme Court justices as an example of why they feel she should win, but that’s not the sole reason for their choice.

We don’t have two equal but diametrically opposed candidates. We have a legitimate candidate – whom you may not agree with, but who would fit into any previous campaign cycle – and someone who has not only none of the positive skills necessary for the job, but also a significant number of negative problems that actively impede his ability to handle even one day on the job.

So no, they’re not equally “evil”.

16 Likes

I think large swaths of the world and millions of displaced people would not agree with you.

Better that they’re all annihilated in a nuclear war?

Besides, the rest of the world is being very vocal about their concern. There’s no doubt that everyone other than Putin is hoping for Hillary, not Donald.

It’s pretty clear you’re not arguing in good faith. You’ve been off-topic for far too long in this thread.

19 Likes

Ha ha! Nope. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Man am I looking forward to 2017 so we can all get back to the usual swing of things and get past this hideous election. Soon we can all argue about how serious Clinton’s email scandal is that the Congressional investigation committee is expanding into numerous new new investigations into Podesta, Clinton, the Clinton Foundation, etc. I think it’s really going to feel like having a Clinton in the White House again soon.

4 Likes

Have I at any point said other wise? Do you honestly think that the GOP as it stands will create anti-racists, non-imperial policies or that Trump will be an anti-racist on the world stage? I’m really unsure if you’re on board with the idea that it’s the system that’s the problem, you’re willing to say that the Dems are somehow more bellicose or that Trump represents some substantial difference. Between the two, one is getting the ethno-nationalist vote and one isn’t.

2 Likes

It’s getting boring for me too.

I assert I cannot vote for something I find to be wrong, other people shout “yeah, but Trump is wronger!!!” It’s why the world is the way it is, and why people like Hillary Clinton prosper keeping it that way.

I won’t vote for what Trump might do, and I certainly won’t vote for a continuation of what Hillary Clinton has done, and promises to continue doing. Not that it matters, I expect it will be this way for a long, long time.

1 Like

You might or might not find this interesting:
https://chomsky.info/an-eight-point-brief-for-lev-lesser-evil-voting/

7 Likes

Being an American citizen, no matter your political views makes you complicit… We all are. There is no getting around that. If you want it to change, you have to be willing to do the hard work, here, to change it. The GOP is the more authoritarian at home and the more bellicose on the world stage. They are also less responsive to arguments that you’re advocating about American imperialism.

13 Likes

Displaced people that Trump would see marched right back to Syria to their deaths. Much like the right wing in Serbia, Croatia, Austria, Hungary, Germany, France, Sweden, Switzerland, Finland, Denmark, the UK, etc. The GOP under Trump would shut down our borders as much as they could and they would work to make sure that immigrants here, legally or not, would fear for their lives.

12 Likes

Will you vote for his stated positions which are indeed racist on their face? Will you vote for his racist dog whistling? In what substantial way is Trump better on any single issue?

7 Likes

No need to paraphrase Rush lyrics here.

3 Likes

I’ve already said I won’t vote for Trump, time and again. The issue people seem to have is I can’t in good conscience vote for Clinton, either. I have no will left to continue supporting great wrongs to oppose other great wrongs. Nothing about repetitively telling me how bad Republicans are changes how bad Democrats are, and after a lifetime of disappointment and blinding myself to the reality, I have no more conscience left to give the Democratic Party.

Why you are asking me these things, when there are hours and hours of examples above, I dunno, but as I said a moment ago, it’s getting boring. Feel free to re-read, but I’ve been told I have been off-topic too long, so I will leave things here as they are, and let the hyperbolic live with their decisions as they may.

1 Like

Okay. Have a good night.

3 Likes

You too!

One of the very best side effects of running the ad blocker Crystal in my phone was it misidentifies the comments section/dumpster fire on Stuff as ads and so I have to turn it off to see them. It’s been a remarkable help to make the website readable again.
Of the people I talk to in person about this, I haven’t found a single pro-Trumper, though I do know a few anti-Clintons (though I suspect they’re /pol/ers so u don’t know how seriously to take them.

3 Likes

Same for me. I’m rarely excited about candidates, but I vote just the same, and for the same reasons as you. This election just seems particularly egregious.

I pay more attention to the down ballot races. They are way more important in the long run.

5 Likes