Donald Trump's still running, but the campaign's over

Tell me how a supreme court loaded with the likes of John Roberts isn’t going to stretch way too far into the future. With the kind of people trump will install, rights of any kind will be gone… I appreciate your insight about the broken two party system but with the house already jerrymandered into the republican camp will there ever be any chance for change if the right wing also owns the supreme court? Dialog with friends, family, community about our differences seems critical but to surrender control to the likes of trump just once could well be the end of our chances for bloodless change. Maybe I’m over the top with that thought but I don’t think so. The history of what good people can become doesn’t go back too far. For a world power such as the US to go off the rails would be the stuff of a Mad Max world. What are our best options here?

12 Likes

Best option: Hill.

Hell, we can all dig that

1 Like

Eff, yeah.

1 Like

I wanna talk about ZGoogle. Where’s the headline? AND where are you on evil?

Dumb question. Why do we even vote as a people? It’s all electorial college and they’re picked by the senate. So… why popular vote does it matter? I’ve never gotten an answer that makessense to me beyond ‘guage the will of the people’ thing or someshit.

1 Like

Yeah, the electoral college is some old-ass fucked-up shit, imo.

Redux.

P.S. Is this not the 21st Century fer fuckssakes?

P.P.S. You can look up 21st Century, fer, and fuckssakes from yer phone jackasses. It’s time for an assessment of practice(s).

2 Likes

I guess it depends where you stand on the values in question.

• War as a means of cultural engineering.
  • Proxy imperialism by dumping money and weapons in other parts of the world without accountability.
  • Interests who openly support torture, repression, and genocide having direct influence on our diplomatic and military decisions.
  • The ongoing policy of intrusion, whether it be physical borders or electronic privacy, as a means of furthering our national interest.
  • Extra-legal execution of people around the world with no accountability or transparency
  • Capital punishment
  • Continued opposition of strong gun laws

I could go on for hours. I find it repulsive that all the aforementioned flavors of evil are basically for sale in administrations where commercial interests are allowed to draft our laws and policies, and campaign donations are quid pro quo. She may support these things one week, oppose them the next, based on political and financial expediency. Right now she supports them all.

Perhaps it’s a false equivalency to you, if you do not see these things as I do. To me, I see millions killed and displaced in a world that more and more hates us because of policies she supports. I see trillions of dollars spent on evil things when we supposedly can’t fund social programs.

I see nothing false about that equivalency. She just has a more polished presentation.

3 Likes

So far in the past 50 years every time the Dems lost, the world not only didn’t eventually become a better place, but there was a lot of permanent damage done and no rebound afterwards, but an Overton Window shifted that much further to the right. I’d rather preserve a poor status quo than contribute to further long standing damage with no reason to imagine that the Dems. won’t do what they do every time they lost to the GOP - shift right.

17 Likes

It’s all electorial college and they’re picked by the senate.

Um? The electors who make up the electorial college are selected by the political parties, not by the senate. This selection is normally made during each party’s state primary.

Each party selects who they would send to Washington D.C. as their electors, in the event of winning the popular vote in that state/district. Whichever party takes the state/district gets to send their chosen set of electors. (note that all this varies a bit state to state, but this is the general idea)

Only about half the states legally mandate that these electors must actually vote the same way as the popular vote, but since the electors have been chosen by the parties who have won the popular vote… it’s a pretty good bet that the electors will follow the popular vote in their state/district.

Edit: If nobody gets a majority of the electoral votes, then in theory the House votes to pick the President, with each state getting 1 vote. And oddly, the Senate votes to pick the Vice-President; you won’t necessarily get both coming from the same party, in that situation. Maybe this is what you were confused over? This has happened only once, in 1825, in the race between John Q Adams, Andrew Jackson, William H Crawford, and Henry Clay. All of whom were notionally from the same “Democratic-Republican” political party, which was in the process of splitting up over major ideological differences. Jackson’s splinter eventually became our modern “Democrat” party, Adams and Clay’s splinter eventually became the “Whig” party. Crawford appears to have generally dropped out of politics entirely, perhaps due to ill health.

It also technically happened in 1801, due to a silly episode where the electoral presidential vote was split evenly (73-73) between Thomas Jefferson and Aaron Burr. It was silly because Aaron Burr wasn’t just running for President; he was also Thomas Jefferson’s running-mate. Yes, he was running for President AND Vice-President at the same time, on different tickets. As a result nobody knew whether any given electoral ballot with his name on it was supposed to be counted as voting for Aaron Burr for President, or voting for Aaron Burr for Vice-President. This little farce led to the more robust contingencies (and ballot labeling) that we have now, and the congress/senate used emergency election powers to break the tie.

7 Likes

Does reporting matter if the election’s already done? A 4-4 USC won’t overturn a Trump win.

I think I’d like some analysis of a self-reflective nature. How did you enable The Douchebag at the expense of good sense. Investigate that.

P.S. Was it profit? If so, grow up.

I mean it.

Seen them? We make them.

7 Likes

They are beautiful, and we are asshats for profit.

So far in the past 50 years every time the Dems lost, the world not only didn’t eventually become a better place, but there was a lot of permanent damage done and no rebound afterwards, but an Overton Window shifted that much further to the right.

Yeah, offhand… Nixon, Ford, (Carter), Reagan x 2, Bush, (Clinton x2), Bush x2, (Obama x2). At the same time, I look at how the nation has progressed in terms of liberalism over that same period. It’s hard for me to really see “a lot of permanent damage done and no rebound afterwards” over and over.

What I do see, though, are Democrats frightening us on a few sensitive issues so we’ll allow them to be indistinguishable from Republicans in terms of war, diplomacy, privacy rights, term limits, campaign financing, lobbyists, fiscal accountability, etc.

3 Likes

What I do see, though, are Democrats frightening us on a few sensitive
issues so we’ll allow them to be indistinguishable from Republicans in
terms of war, diplomacy, privacy rights, term limits, campaign
financing, lobbyists, fiscal accountability, etc.

I think the two of you are mostly in agreement with each other.

If I’m reading your comments correctly, I think the only difference is that you’re implying that Democrats were already like this, while @nemomen is suggesting that they’ve been moving progressively further in this direction after each loss to a Republican.

5 Likes

I think the only difference is that you’re implying that Democrats were already like this, while @nemomen is suggesting that they’ve been moving progressively further in this direction after each loss to a Republican.

I understand the sentiment, I just don’t see the reality of it. I see people who, regardless of their party affiliation, use a few sectarian issues to keep us distracted from the great evils they do on a global scale.

2 Likes

I understand the sentiment, I just don’t see the reality of it. I see
people who, regardless of their party affiliation, use a few sectarian
issues to keep us distracted from the great evils they do on a global
scale.

On the topic of “great evils”, Trump spent some time talking about the nuclear warhead gap, in the third debate. Is that “great evil on a global scale” enough for you?

3 Likes

Plenty enough to never vote for him, ever, yes.

1 Like