Don't blink or you'll miss this record-setting 1.82 second Formula 1 pit stop

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/18/dont-blink-or-youll-miss-t.html

8 Likes

And I have to sit like a schmuck at NTB for over an hour! No fair!

13 Likes

I’ve had this business idea, if I owned a tire shop, customers buys tires and rims, come in and we do a “pit stop” Maybe get a race team in as a special event. Maybe we could make a few extra hundred dollars, drum up some publicity, have some fun at work.

4 Likes

How would your staff have time to upsell the overpriced wiper blades, and coolant flush, and cabin filter replacement?

13 Likes

I’m disappointed that they didn’t also top off the tank.

10 Likes

As the car vanishes out of the pit lane, one of the crew says, “Um… where did this wheel nut come from?”

7 Likes

I’m such a fan of efficient practices that are optimized to their maximum like this. Kudos!

11 Likes

“Don’t blink or you’ll miss this record-setting 1.82 second Formula 1 pit stop”

"…blink…1.82…"

Sponsored content?

25 Likes

Wow, they must have practiced - a LOT!

5 Likes

they do not add fuel to F1 cars during a race. they do the whole race on one tank.
also is was a shame the Willams car literally cut him off in the pit lane. basically throwing away any advantage he had gained.

4 Likes

I’m sure Red Bull is very happy it sponsored this team, although I doubt the pit crew or the driver consume it on the job.

2 Likes

Yes! Fantastic teamwork and synchronization in optimizing this multi-threaded process stream. Makes my pitiable attempts to coordinate finance and supply chain pale.

3 Likes

What’s the role of the guy in the middle? Is it to be the one who decides, OK everyone’s done ready to go, since the driver can’t see as well as he can?

3 Likes

That has actually happened, drivers have left the pits with a retaining nut either left off, or not properly fitted, with the obvious result.

4 Likes

Indeed, like the San Marino Grand Prix 1994 Pit-Lane Incident; often overshadowed by the rest of the carnage that weekend.

2 Likes

Thank you for this. I watched the video several times trying to figure out how they refuel in so little time and couldn’t figure it out!

Is it an F1 rule that they can’t refuel? Or did the teams just do the math and figure out that the weight penalty of extra fuel at the beginning of the race is preferable to the time penalty of refueling during the race? If the latter, I wonder if an advantage could be gained by using an entirely detachable fuel tank that could be replaced at least as quickly as a tire, rather than having to push gas into a permanent tank like in NASCAR.

2 Likes

Oh yeah? Well check this out!

1 Like

its a F1 rule…

“From 2010, only tire change is allowed during pitstop. Refueling is banned, and drivers have to start with all fuel needed for race.”

http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/refueling.html

6 Likes

Red Bull actually owns the team; although one of the top 3 teams; have not been as successful since new hybrid engines where Mercedes has dominated.

4 Likes

Refueling seems like something that Americans are into, whereas Europeans are into fuel efficiency. So it makes sense that they get one tank of fuel.