Dr. Drew ignorantly asks, "how would you feel if international travel also required other vaccinations?"

Before becoming the Sorcerer Supreme, Dr. Strange was an MD and a board-certified surgeon. So he would very likely give legitimately solid medical advice.

Dr. Octopus, also a brilliant mind. As long as it didn’t interrupt his latest scheme to smash the wall-crawler, he might deign to give useful advice just to display his own intellect.

I’m not familiar with the work of Dr. Bombay, but I’m expecting a similar level of medical advice as Dr. Octopus.

Dr. Fever could at least dispense advice on hangover cures, and Dr. Detroit on how to properly evade law enforcement while engaging in fully consensual adult services.

And Dr. Pepper would at least leave a far better taste in one’s mouth.

13 Likes

Anyone remember smallpox? I had to get vaccinated as a kid to travel to Europe to see family back in the 70s. A few years later, due to the huge and long-running international vaccination effort (including such travel restrictions), smallpox was eradicated.

Also, I didn’t mind a small scratch on my shoulder, though at the time I didn’t understand how important it was.

13 Likes

Can’t find it at the moment, but remember a news story of Rand Paul visiting a medical school and “joking” about how back in the day they’d sabotage the dissection of the other group’s cadaver as a way of helping their own grades. Which is tremendously disrespectful of the person who donated their body to help medical students be better doctors, as well as a sign Paul may have gotten better grades for horrible reasons. Also this, from the Atlantic:

"LOUISVILLE, Kentucky — Rand Paul was talking with University of Louisville medical students when one of them tossed him a softball. “The majority of med students here today have a comprehensive exam tomorrow. I’m just wondering if you have any last-minute advice.”

“Actually, I do,” said the ophthalmologist-turned-senator, who stays sharp (and keeps his license) by doing pro bono eye surgeries during congressional breaks. “I never, ever cheated. I don’t condone cheating. But I would sometimes spread misinformation. This is a great tactic. Misinformation can be very important.”

He went on to describe studying for a pathology test with friends in the library. “We spread the rumor that we knew what was on the test and it was definitely going to be all about the liver,” he said. “We tried to trick all of our competing students into over-studying for the liver” and not studying much else.

“So, that’s my advice,” he concluded. “Misinformation works.”

That said, I think most MD’s, upper or lower grades in the class, are decent people who want to help people, and want to help their colleagues be better doctors, but there are of course shitty individuals, or at least dangerously self-important people in the field. As there are in many fields.

13 Likes

Advice he continues to follow to this day, obviously. Unfortunately for him, it just makes him a shithead and piss poor human being. Unless they graded on a curve back then, (I suspect we are relatively close in age, and they did not at my school) sabotaging other in no way helps you at all. It only makes you feel less bad when you suck, if there are lots of other bad grades as well.

“as there are in all fields.” I don’t care the criteria for the grouping, in any sufficiently large group, there will be a not insignificant number of assholes. It is the human way.

16 Likes

Here’s the problem.
They could revoke his license to practice medicine, but that would only mean that he couldn’t treat patients.
He would still be an M.D. because that’s an educational degree. He could spout any BS he felt like on tv because he’s an ENTERTAINER. As long as that disclaimer is mentioned, he’s free and clear.
Just like FOX Nooz can spout any BS they like because they’re an entertainment channel, not a News Channel.

5 Likes

Just throwing in my two cents that those vaccinations are also required if would like to attend college or university. My alma mater was still requiring everything on that list as recently as 2018.

2 Likes

He’s from the old 1960’s / 70’s TV show Bewitched. The plot device was, someone would get a magical malady, and you’d summon him with, “Calling Dr. Bombay, calling Dr. Bombay, emergency, come right away!” And he’d appear. If I remember correctly, the plot was usually that the magical malady was a curse or something, so he couldn’t quite cure it, but he could lead the characters to the next maguffin needed. Or give professional, wizardly advice, and so on.

3 Likes

I wonder if we’re seeing his trip from narcissism all the way to alt-right trolling.

What happened to Dr. Drew? He was reasonably “woke” on the Loveline radio show with Adam Corrola (and I believe Jimmy Kimmel before that.) Does getting old automatically turn you into a Fox News nut, or did Dr. Drew sell his soul to the Fox News devil for some cash?

1 Like

(updated to remove Dr. Huxtable) - thanks to @Mindysan33

14 Likes

Well, at least one of those did not age well (Dr. Huxtable in the “trust with your life” category! Nope).

Also, I’m fairly certain the Doctor did get some formal training back on Gallifrey…

17 Likes

Aged like milk, as the kids say. I’ll have it corrected momentarily.

6 Likes

Also, what’s with all the Dr. Pepper hate!

10 Likes

I have to complain.

Doctor Evil went to Evil Medical School, while Doctor Octopus is a physicist, not a physician

@mindysan is right too.

15 Likes

Colonialism is not a thinking machine,
nor a body endowed with reasoning faculties.
It is violence in its natural state

dre uber alles

1 Like

these memes never age well, do they!

5 Likes

Whenever someone hops on the Trump wagon it seems they immediately become a shitty sociologist and attribute the most fucked up causation to the real world. It’s a fucking illness. Zombies attack!

3 Likes

Like this one.

15 Likes

I don’t know how successful his non-celebrity rehab was, but Celebrity Rehab was pretty notoriously unsuccessful, as far as keeping celebrity addicts sober. Or alive, even. Then again, addiction is a notoriously brutal disease, so that may not actually have been his fault at all.