Dr. Drew ignorantly asks, "how would you feel if international travel also required other vaccinations?"

That house looks like it was designed by a crappy AI, especially when you get to the interior stats (3 kitchens with 8 dishwashers between them, etc). None of it seems remotely related to an actual human being’s habits, needs or even desires, it’s just an insane house-slurry.

7 Likes

There’s an official professional title for these people: ‘charlatan’

5 Likes

It’s similar for a lot of other countries, too. There were vaccines and a tuberculosis test required for me to move to Belgium. I had already had all of the necessary vaccines – they’re basically the standard ones that most Americans get as children – but the TB test had to be recent. I also had to provide fingerprints and a criminal background check (“but muh freedums!”). Then when I moved to France I had to go through a similar process, even though I was moving from another EU country.

The last tweet in the article, where Drew talks about the CDC list, suggests he thinks the US government has the final say on all international travel. It neglects the fact that, while CDC recommendations are broadly followed even in many countries outside of the US, the CDC doesn’t make laws or set policy (though I imagine there are some laws that direct authorities to follow CDC recommendations). If, say, the UK or Canada wants to require tourists to have the Japanese encephalitis vaccination, they can do it, even if the vaccine is not on the CDC’s “required” list and other health authorities think it’s silly.

7 Likes

Christ, what an asshole M.D.

Oh, NICE one!

And Dr. Ruth relentlessly stuck to HER TOPIC (“zex und zex un more zex!”) and didn’t go around making pronouncements on Swine Flu or Ebola or Monkeypox…

Her Canadian equivalent (predecessor?) was Dr. Sue Johnson, who I THINK was also known as Dr. Sue, might also qualify…

11 Likes

In her previous job, she was a sniper, so that fits.

10 Likes

Needs more @frauenfelder
Mark, your use of ‘your’ suggests that you’re not paying attention, or perhaps that your not paying attention is what what caused your error. You’re welcome.

3 Likes

So sad to see Dr Drew let us down like this.
Used to listen to him on KROC…

I like Dr. Mike a lot. He’s quack free.

1 Like

Boris Johnson wants to have a word with you and says he’s NOT a doctor, he just follows the science. /s

1 Like

That’s a pretty harsh accusation; I think we’re gonna need to see a source.

2 Likes

I remember loving “Love Line” on MTV in the 90s. He seemed so reasonable and informed back then - but I bet if I went back most of that advice would be cringe-worthy. I mean, the fact that Adam Corolla got his start there too doesn’t say much for the accuracy of the opinions on the show.

4 Likes

Adam Corolla was just there to make Dr. Drew look sensible by comparison. Mission Accomplished.

4 Likes

He is supposedly an internist/gp by degree and license. But it’s really hard to tell if he’s ever practiced. He’s been in the media since med school. He does seem to have actually worked in rehab. But that’s a field loaded with bullshit, especially on the ritzy end of, and it’s as linked to his TV doctor job as anything else.

He was peddling a bunch of bullshit back then too. He was regularly called out for pushing cryptically homophobic nonsense about the dangers of anal sex for years. Among other things.

3 Likes

I have that same yellow paper in my backpack…it is required for travel to some countries which is why it’s been in my work bag for years.

On top of local requirements, I’ve had a job require I get additional vaccinations before travel, as me getting sick was not something they (or I, truly) wanted. There was one three week span where I got 11 different pokes.

6 Likes

In my training, if a nurse said “Well, you’re the doctor…” it was a sure fire sign that you done fucked up and better rectify the situation promptly. I tell patients that I only work here because the nurses let me.

26 Likes

Eh, there’s no international civil rights with respect to travel at least as I know it. No country has to let you in. Their laws are theirs. Why do conservatives keep on insisting that folks need to let them go willy nilly into their countries while at the same time demanding everyone else to stick to the vaccine passport standard? Seriously, I thought vaccine passports were the norm with respect to travel. Also, the important point is THESE ARE SOVEREIGN COUNTRIES APART FROM THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA so it’s their rules or you go home. Just the entitlement is f****** incredible here.

10 Likes

While that is a true statement, I would also hasten to point out that graduating at the top of one’s class does not in any way mean you will be a better doctor. There are way too many squishy, immeasurable aspects to interpersonal interactions involved that don’t go into rankings, as well as clinical judgement and ability to reach accurate conclusions based on incomplete data, which we don’t even begin to understand until residency. And most med schools have moved to a pass-fail system specifically to avoid the hierarchy of ranking.

16 Likes

And at the same time railing against “open borders” and demanding that it become even more difficult for foreigners to enter God’s own country.

7 Likes

I assume there are rich cool people doing cool things that are difficult to afford, but have the good taste to not be ostentatious about it and they’ve certainly the wisdom to have nothing to do with reality shows. Volume and intelligence often have an inverse relationship, so we hear a lot more of and from rich assholes than from rich decent sorts.

4 Likes