Draft of Senate GOP health-care bill is out. Subsidies linked to income, Medicaid cut dramatically

The self-destructive types say, “I hope all the bad shit passes.” I don’t really want it to pass. If it does, and becomes the new law, then that is literally people’s lives. People will die. I am not wishing that. Instead, I hope the bad shit passes and it gets tied up in court and cannot become the new way business is done.

This will allow the backlash to fully form and kick these bastards out of office for good. My health is not your fucking business and yours isn’t mine. It’s not congress’s business. It’s not the President’s. It’s not the state legislatures’. It’s not the insurance companies’. It’s NOBODY’S business but mine, my family’s and my doctors’. Why can’t these assholes get that through their thick fucking cro-magnon skulls?

2 Likes

22 Likes

The Moscow Mule is the drink of choice.

5 Likes

Finally ends the searing humiliation experienced by bigoted dumbfucks getting their affordable and comprehensive health insurance from a flawed but fixable law championed by a black guy.

15 Likes

Republicans are going to kill children.

10 Likes

From now on McConnell is no longer Turtle Man. He’s Turd Golem.

Fuck him, and fuck the dopes who have voted him in decade after decade.

26 Likes

Yes, you have my vote on that.

8 Likes

No, that will be the wealthy, asking for a bailout of what is left of healthcare system, after it effects them.

4 Likes

Yes, but as long as they are birthed first. Then its all bootstraps.

3 Likes

Yeah, my hope is that none of this gets through into practice. My fear is that the reality will be the worst possible outcome - worse even than bad shit passing and people dying, because in that case everyone would get pissed off and things might ultimately change for the better. This seems like it might be just watered down enough that it would mostly hurt the most vulnerable who can’t fight back, and would obscure the source of the pain for many others, so they won’t fight back (and people will still die, but it won’t get fixed). The Republicans might just get away with it.

Yeah, I’d like to see Vox ask their questions again about what problem(s) this is supposed to solve and how it supposedly solves them, now that they actually have something. I’m sure the congresscritters wouldn’t have any better answers, though.

14 Likes

Yeah, and it served its purpose: they got to run against it.

8 Likes

They use it on the state level, still.

1 Like

I just received magical emails from my congressional rep Martha (let’s get this fuckin’ thing passed) McSally to sugar-coat this bill. It’s a very long boilerplate response pointing out all the ‘failings’ of the ACA and how this bill (specifically the house version) will be worked on. Not at all mentioning any of the upward tax-cuts or higher premiums, Medicaid cuts on the horizon.

Also received an out of the blue message from my Senator Jeff Flake with the same sugar-coating talking about the free-market.

It’s all spin and damage control at this point. Despite this and any public performance to the contrary, all the Rs will get in line and pass this travesty - democracy be damned.

9 Likes

But it wasn’t yet clear Wednesday evening whether the waivers would go so far as allowing insurers to charge patients with preexisting conditions more than those without them for obtaining insurance — or even denying them coverage altogether.

So much of the press coverage totally misses the point of “pre-existing conditions.” They’re not used to deny you coverage or raise your premiums, at least in most cases. They’re used as a post hoc excuse to rescind your policy.

Example: you develop uterine cancer at age 42. Your insurer does a deep dive into your medical history and discovers that you were seen for dysmenorrhea at 14, so they tell you that was a PEC and therefore your policy was fraudulently obtained. You get your premiums back and told to go fishing in the high-risk pool.

19 Likes

Sorry to hear that you live in AZ. I escaped a while ago.

If you feel like twisting the knife you can try to call McCain’s office and offer sympathy:

I’m sure he knows how many Americans this will kill because I’ve seen his interviews but after all he has his orders.

4 Likes

Remember how everybody thought the Senate bill would be less shitty than the House bill? You know, the one Trump said was “cruel”?

5 Likes

Hence this Gov website:

https://www.axios.com/white-house-launches-aca-repeal-website-2445670287.html

1 Like

Anyone giving odds online yet of how likely it is to pass? I kept hearing how badly they had to thread the needle in order to satisfy all wings of the GOP senate, but that was before they released it.

2 Likes

“If they can” being the operative words. Not something that poor people who’ll feel the most impact from this piece of crap legislation can do easily. Put another way, it will work as the Republicans intended.

Appropriate given that the grifters are in control.

Reminds me of Philip Jose Farmer’s “Terrible Turdothere” from “It’s the Queen of Darkness, Pal”, which is more relevant than I thought it would be after a re-read:

The myth of the Turdothere went like this. It wasn’t a Mad Scientist that created the Turdothere. In the old days it would have been, but people didn’t believe in a Mad Scientist any more. The faith in their existence was gone. They were as extinct as Zeus or Odin or maybe even God.

It was The Mad TV Writer that was the new menace. The name was Victor Scheissmiller, a man who had really lived. Everybody had seen his picture in the newspapers and magazines and read about him in them. He wasn’t something made up.

[…]

He disappeared one day, last seen climbing down a manhole. The note he left behind said he was going to create a monster, the Turdothere, and release it on the world. After it ate up all the sewer workers, it would emerge from a storm sewer and devour the whole population while they sat hypnotized before their TV’s.

The surface people thought it was a big joke. The tunnel people laughed about it when they were above. But when they were below, they did a lot of looking over their shoulders.

Nobody had seen Victor Scheissmiller in the sewers, but some had seen the heaving stinking mass of the Turdothere with its one glass eye — Scheissmiller’s own, some said. Some workers said that it was the Turdothere that had killed their buddies and cut off the head, legs, and arms. But those who’d seen the thing said it had no teeth. It must gum its victims to death, or maybe it stuck a tentacle of crap down their throats and choked them. Then it wrapped itself around them and dissolved them in its juices.

How did it keep alive when only a few people had disappeared in the sewers? Easy. It ate rats, too. And it was probably a cannibal; it ate crap, too.

It grew even larger then, and it could become a colossus, since there was no end of this kind of food, unless the plumbers went on strike. Its main body, though, was supposed to be in a sort of skeleton. Old bones put together by Scheissmiller. There were nerves of thread and catgut and a condom swelling and shrinking like a heart, pumping muscatel from a bottle for its blood, a jar of vaginal jelly for a liver, cigar butts embedded in the body drawing oxygen through it. And so on.

Others said this wasn’t correct. The thing was a 300-pound mass of nothing but living crap, no bones or bottles in it, and it flowed along and changed shape like The Brobdingnagian Bacillus That Desired Raquel Welch. (Later retitled I Bugged the Body Beautiful.)

Everybody agreed, though, that it had one glass eye which it used to spot its victims.

“Mostly it’s made of dead human hopes,’’

6 Likes

Serving neoliberalism and the funders who put/keep them in Congress!

1 Like