Draft of Senate GOP health-care bill is out. Subsidies linked to income, Medicaid cut dramatically

6 Likes

Many of us, after helping to make our bosses and insurance executives rich after years and decades of work, have or are developing pre-existing conditions. A PEC being an excuse to pull the medical insurance rug out from under a person right when they need it, for example upon receiving a diagnosis for cancer that would require expensive and necessary medical treatment.

Just how angry will we become at the members of the death panels in Washington DC?

4 Likes

That site is hilariously sad. Cherry-picked half-truths and outright lies has been this administrations marketing plan ever since the escalator descent into the hearts of the easyly conned. No doubt it will work here as well.

2 Likes

[quote=“forceblink, post:21, topic:103228”]
This will allow the backlash to fully form and kick these bastards out of office for good. My health is not your fucking business and yours isn’t mine. It’s not congress’s business. It’s not the President’s. It’s not the state legislatures’. It’s not the insurance companies’. It’s NOBODY’S business but mine, my family’s and my doctors’. Why can’t these assholes get that through their thick fucking cro-magnon skulls?
[/quote]Except this is the layman conservative opinion that got us into this mess because Uncle Sam was literally going to be probing you.

1 Like

“…while conservatives don’t want to leave big parts of the ACA in place.”

Translation: They want to be sure they are killing as many poor people as possible with this first attempt.

4 Likes

yeah, its a formula that has worked in Scandinavia for a long time.

1 Like

On the plus side, the Medicaid cuts will de facto kill off a lot of GOP rural supporters!

Sorry. That’s not funny. Unfunny, because it’s so damn true. I can’t believe McConnell would present something that is essentially a death sentence for many of his key supporters.

3 Likes

I just want to say thank you to all the trump voters in middle america who decided to give up their medical care so that rich coastal elites like myself can get a tax cut. I will think of you while eating the caviar you paid for.

14 Likes

That’s what I’m left with as well on a personal level. If these suckers think they’re sticking it to an affluent and educated coastal elite like me by supporting this turd of a health-care bill, they’ve got it backwards as usual. Jeebus forfend that a liberal like myself wants to see everyone enjoy the basic privilege of personally affordable health-care that I do.

7 Likes

Nah. The specifics of your health are nobody’s (except yours, your doctor’s, etc.) business. But the big thing that the conservatives don’t get is that everybody’s health is everybody else business in the sense that it’s in the interests of the whole of society* that every member is as healthy as possible. So it’s in all our interests that everybody have health care.

* Ignoring those rentiers on the health care lawn.

10 Likes

You know what? I am not returning to the States after all. Fuck this shit.

The land of my birth, of my childhood is lost forever; the USA is fast becoming irrelevant. I just hope that in its death throes it doesn’t unleash its unaffordable military any more.

6 Likes

This would make an excellent political ad. Who has a super PAC we can use?

8 Likes

So the question is:" Which Dead Kennedy’s song is their anthem: 'I kill children," or 'Kill the poor?"

2 Likes

I would love to see that ad. Someone tweet @IronStache

3 Likes

One of the things about this that should make everybody go “Huh?” is the non-sequitor marketing of this. Because “The ACA’s healthcare exchanges for people on the individual market are running into difficulties,” somehow sounds like “We must gut Medicaid.” to Republican lawmakers. Heck, the medicaid expansion is the part of the ACA that actually worked pretty well, in the states that allowed it. And of course the solution to EVERY CONCEIVABLE PROBLEM is tax cuts for the well off.

6 Likes

The thing that bothers me the most about the entire debate is that most Americans are aware of and would like the only valid solution, single payer healthcare yet their representatives refuse to listen to them.

9 Likes

Another massive tax cut for the wealthy paid for by the very lives of the poor and working class. McConnell, like Gingrich before him, highlight the conservative’s disdain for anyone who isn’t a wealthy white male.

6 Likes

The funny thing is, Medicaid barely pays for crap NOW… My poor mother when she was alive had to wait a couple months after she stopped working for Medicaid and her Social Security disability to kick in. Granted, Medicaid was actually better than her shitty insurance she had before, but that’s like saying a consumer savings account is better than money in the mattress.

I mean, had she had the good sense to wait until 62 instead of 61 to have severe complications of Parkinson’s, she could have gotten Medicare and early retirement, but she made poor choices didn’t she? She clearly didn’t work hard enough in her life despite working 3 jobs much of the time and going back to school in order to do better to make sure my life was good. Oh, and she also was an avid churchgoer, probably voted Republican most of her life, gave to charity, etc. She’s even their sort of wet dream of someone who did take welfare for a while, and worked her way off it because that’s what most people do – welfare is already pretty horrible and most people don’t want it. Only actual ding on her from a Republican point of view is that since my parents divorced, she would have been a single mother for a long time. Of course, that’s only an epithet these assholes use for “not white”, and given that the whole family nearly lights on fire when we walk outside, that’s not an issue. She spent much of her life in a heavily R district in Michigan and most of the rest in Arizona.

So yeah, McConnell and company, clearly you want to cut Medicaid. People like my mom, fitting your perfect bullshit model of virtue, living in your similar minded areas, they are often the people on Medicaid. I’m sad that my mother died five years ago, but relieved at the same time that she didn’t have to suffer even more.

FUCK YOU SENATE! FUCK YOU!

7 Likes

They put in provisions to allow states to make their plans stingier and less well funded.

It won’t be “blue” states that do this.

So, yeah, this will kill off the Fox News demographic.

3 Likes

Good. Thanks for responding to this. You are right that the specifics are nobody’s business, echoing what I wrote. But where is the line regarding “everybody’s health” vs. specifics? As soon as legislation gets into niggly piggly details of what is paid for (“covered”), what is not… they have stepped into people’s specific health business. That line is not as bright as you suggest.

Here’s one. Trans therapy and surgery. Conservos want to ban this outright. Why is this their business? It’s nobody’s business. It has nothing to do with me, personally, either, and my “rates” probably have gone up slightly because of it and other things that will never affect me personally. So what. But I hold the line that it’s nobody’s business and the current laws need to be scrapped in favor of blanket coverage that supports the mission of private health matters.

Yes, population health is a public matter. But the laws are not written in a way that supports the patient. They are written to support every other entity BUT the patient’s needs. Future laws are doomed to follow this same failed strategy, even Medicare-for-all. We need a complete overhaul.

No way. That is a preposterous position. Conservos emphatically do NOT think that. They are getting into every nook and cranny of women’s health, where they have no business.