Driver goes berserk when another driver won't let him merge

I can just make out the guy’s license plate. . . “UMADBRO” I think it says.

3 Likes

It’s become… weirder where I live (PG County). They’re building the Purple Line on the way to my daughter’s school, so they have one side of the highway down to one lane. Since then, I keep seeing cars stuck in the median, where the driver ran their vehicle out of that lane (I’m not sure why, but I’m going to guess to avoid hitting whoever was in front of them). On one trip I saw no less than 3 cars stuck in the median. The weird part is that, as often as not, they leave the transmission in gear or in drive, and the (now elevated) wheels are still spinning in the air – even after they’ve gotten out of the car to call someone for help.

I pissed off the wrong person one afternoon, heading in the other direction along that same route. I followed her too closely to get out of the way of an intersection. Guess she thought I was tailgating just to fuck with her, but she slammed on the brakes, pulled over, gave me the finger as I went past. When she caught up again in the turn lane, she was yelling at me and taking a video with her phone (while still driving). Presumably the video’s somewhere on YouTube, and/or on the pile of unsolved cases at PGPD.

5 Likes

Fine, not zipper merging. And you’re making a lot of assumptions about missing exits. Based on the traffic to the left of the cam car, it looks like they’re moving right to avoid an accident or obstruction in the left lane(s). In any case, pointedly keeping someone from moving over, when it is safe for them to do so, such as when the traffic surrounding you is moving pretty slowly, just because you think they should have changed lanes earlier, or for any reason, really, is the height of stupid pettiness.

14 Likes

Lol, +1000 points for hyperbole!

Oh, sorry, didn’t realize that sort of thing was routine for you. My bad.

What make and color of car do you drive? Next time I skip and cut the line I will keep an eye out for you to let me in, kind motorist!

1 Like

This should be titled “Two idiots get into a dick-waving contest.” The whole thing clearly could have been avoided by applying a little common sense, courtesy, and patience by literally either one of them. Only one of them needed to not be an asshole.

5 Likes

But as we’ve seen, nothing inspires dick-waving like someone who wants to merge into a man’s lane. It’s his lane, dammit! What are you thinking?

2 Likes

Both drivers showing a firm commitment to being assholes. Points all around!

11 Likes

You don’t have the right to force yourself into an occupied lane. You sit and patiently wait for an opening.

Disagree. If someone is signalling they need in to your lane, you let them in. If everyone had to ‘wait for an opening’, it would be literally impossible to ever change lanes during rush hour. Yes, some common sense is required to be applied here and there needs to be some element of “taking turns”, but the STI should have backed the eff off.

Edited to add: Although, clearly, the baseball bat was an extreme and unjustifiable overreaction…

14 Likes

Sure there’s always going to be assholes, but that doesn’t mean you have to double-down. Just let them have their little victory of one car length that will make exactly zero difference in how fast they get where they’re going and chuckle at their stupidity firm in the knowledge that you are clearly the superior human being. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

7 Likes

Where I’m from, this is how you get rear-ended.

4 Likes

That was a machete! Oddly enough, more threatening but less damaging to the car…

5 Likes

There’s literally nothing that either of them could have done before this video that would have made it worth it to fight about one car length on an expressway moving approximately 2 mph. Let alone to fight about it to the extent they’ve both damaged their own cars and committed crimes.

10 Likes

Which driver is the one the headline is talking about? Because they both look to have gone equally berserk to me.

5 Likes

Ah but the new Honda Neutron Star can.

1 Like

If someone’s signalling, I let them in. (Except those people who pull out into a lane that’s ending, scoot forward and then try to merge back in. Fuck those guys!)

13 Likes

You cannot just “sit” and wait for an opening as that brings all traffic behind you to a standstill. Instead, just don’t be a jerk and let someone merge in.

7 Likes

I don’t know how much of an over reaction. The driver tried to pull forward and was blocked and then even tried the dangerous route of backing up to get BEHIND the other car, to find that second driver blocking him from doing that as well. In LA, I’m pretty certain that they still shoot people over such behaviors.

I’m speaking of when you actually get to the end of your lane - no more road in front of you. You still can’t force your way into the adjacent lane - you have to wait for a gap.