Driver goes berserk when another driver won't let him merge

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/14/driver-goes-berserk-when-anoth.html

3 Likes

Fun fact: the opening traffic shots in Office Space were filmed on 635 as well.

As an aside, that poor STI…

18 Likes

That’s way more “throws a slight temper tantrum” than berserk.

2 Likes

That just goes to show how low we’ve stooped as humanity. How there is no real hope. I mean, for the love of god, please turn your phone sideways when filming video (even when doing so illegally from the behind the wheel of a moving car).

54 Likes

DC/NoVa/Md every damn day.

4 Likes

One or the other of these, or both, has not mastered the basic physical principle that you can’t have two large objects occupying the same space coordinates.

8 Likes

635 is a nightmare and missing your exit means adding an hour to your drive in rush hour. The car who wouldn’t let the other merge is the cause of all of this. Every day on Dallas highways I see at least one car speeding up to prevent someone from merging. Some drivers cannot stand that someone else needs to be in the same lane and those drivers are scum.

27 Likes

Ahh, but you forgot about Schrödinger’s car.

18 Likes

I guess they haven’t seen Timecop?

2 Likes

And I thought Toronto drivers were bad about merging.

Good driving is all about anticipation. If your lane is ending, be aware of this and find a way out when you can.

You don’t have the right to force yourself into an occupied lane. You sit and patiently wait for an opening.

5 Likes

Boy, he sure showed him!

Uh Oh! Better get Maaco!

3 Likes

A big stick, never leave home without it.

I was wondering the same thing. Did this driver skip the mile long exiting traffic and was trying to cut in late? I normally don’t give them any room either.

3 Likes

I can vouch for this.

2 Likes

Thank you, I needed that, even if it was at the cost of a car[s], it’s just metal after all…

Zipper merging is the most efficient way to merge. If you stop someone who’s trying to merge at any point before the two lanes become one, and they are still within a lane, and not riding in the shoulder, you are the asshole, not them.

35 Likes

While anticipating your exit is important, the way 635 is laid out with left AND right hand freeway entrances and exits, you may have 5-6 lanes to cross to make your exit. If any lane has an asshole like this guy who prevents you from merging, anticipation does fuck all for you.
Further, waiting patiently doesn’t work if the person next to you STOPS on the road and then speeds up when you try to move forward making it impossible to actually merge. Watch the video, that’s exactly what happened.

14 Likes

As someone that has had the 635 experience … let me offer you a chance to exit re-victimizing yourself.

1 Like

Zipper merging is a whole other concept, and I would agree with you but unfortunately 99% of the cars on the road don’t agree with us so all of that is still a pain in the ass. Im unsure how to correct drivers behaviors for that.

But in this video they are merging to the right so it is traffic leaving the highway, not exactly a zippering scenario. Backing up the left lanes to zipper right is going to cause a huge problem. He missed his exit… keep moving to the next.

2 Likes