Drudge Report uses 2012 photo taken in Syria for story about US-Mexico border

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/18/drudge-report-uses-2012-photo.html

4 Likes

The only shocking thing about this is that the conservative closet case didn’t use his police lights clipart gif.

13 Likes

And of course the Drudge report would never criticize young white men holding guns, even if they went and used those very guns to massacre a school or church.

22 Likes

No way. He’s trying to convey a sense of danger to his readers and it’s hard to do that when he himself isn’t feeling the rough-trade frisson he apparently only gets from strapping young men of colour.

6 Likes

No, no. These kids having (toy) guns (halfway across the world) shows (non-white) children are a threat and that’s why we need MOAR GUNS!

2 Likes

Wait, are you saying…that Matt Drudge…the Matt Drudge…uses…um…fake news?

15 Likes

Thanks for drudgesplaining that for me! :wink:

4 Likes

The real problem is that if you search “Mexican children with guns” (without quotes) in google image search, that photo is the second result. That algorithm is seriously problematic.

ETA: Not a defence of Drudge, but evidence that we have much larger problems with that photo.

13 Likes

The idea that algorithms are somehow less likely to produce prejudiced results has always been wrong, too. Human beings always manage to reveal their biases in whatever work they do, no matter how much they imagine that are free from such things.

14 Likes

Absolutely agree.

5 Likes

The text associated with the photo plainly says “Azaz, Syria” even without clicking through the image to Flickr. So why, alphabet, does this image, along with other images taken from around the world, return for search variable, “Mexican children”?

3 Likes

Mexican, Syrian, same thing. They’re brown and they belong in cages. Because this is no longer America.

6 Likes

Also speak primitive, largely unintelligible languages.

3 Likes

Wait? the right-wing media lies about things? It’s almost like they have an agenda.

I’ve been center-right for most of my life, and nothing gets me madder than dirty politics and liars. If the whole right-wing movement comes crashing down by building their house on a foundation of lies, then so be it. I left the GOP because I’m just too old fashioned to be in bed with a bunch of snakes.

3 Likes

While I’m sure he is a cock-craving buttslut cum dumpster – and that’s probably a wedge between him and the unflushed turds who stare at his blog – I have mixed feelings about foregrounding it when there are so many more urgently horrible things to say about him.

(if this were a specifically gay internet BBS chatroom forum, I would of course fully go to town on how he’s deeper in the closet than Aslan and contains more semen than the US Navy etc. etc., because in that context it would be understood as a healthy way to purge one’s internalised homophobia at a deserving target)

1 Like

With other right-wing pundits I wouldn’t make it an issue, but his particular proclivities obviously inform the many scare stories like this one that he’s published over the years. It fascinates me that he’s built a media brand that appeals primarily to conservatives based on them.

1 Like

I’ve been reading Drudge daily (essentially) for about 20 years. Very useful research, albeit worrying.

It’s a bit like reading the tea leaves you found in a garbage can.

2 Likes

Perfect illustration of the computer science principle “garbage in, garbage out.”

5 Likes

Is that because of the Drudge Report use of the image?