Drug laws relaxed across nation

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/04/drug-laws-relaxed-across-nation.html

8 Likes

Good. We’ll need everything we can get.

5 Likes

“You do look glum! What you need is a gramme of soma.”

12 Likes

“The Oregon drug initiative will allow people arrested with small amounts of hard drugs to avoid going to trial, and possible jail time, by paying a $100 fine…”

I wasn’t aware there were stipulations on this change. It’s a step in the right direction but the people most vulnerable to drug laws (i.e. the unhoused and those with serious substance abuse issues) aren’t likely to have $100 or a friend with $100. Hopefully that doesn’t mean they are jailhouse bound immediately and there’s some recourse for people in their situation. Otherwise this is just a free pass for college kids to get fucked up.

3 Likes

First state…

7 Likes

The summary I’d read said the $100 fine would be waived if you went to a drug abuse evaluation: “face a $100 fine or have the option of being screened for a substance abuse disorder.” That summary also makes it sound like the substance abuse program in question is going to be funded by a tax on marijuana.

1 Like

my inner optimist says cool lets stop victimizing the victims with the Criminal justice system great. but my inner pessimist say meh, who needs to suppress to poor with petty drug charges, when soon down the road suppression can all be done more subtly in a multifaceted approach utilizing the data of the lower classes and minorities and weaponizing it against them in the most Indistinct yet diabolical manners, that are completely and easily deniable.

Finally a good reason for visiting New Jersey!

Finally a good reason for visiting South Dakota!

1 Like

Hey Oregon, how much dope is a small amount of dope? The judge will decide? Yeah, that’s gonna work fine and no discrimination will ensue…

Oregon’s drug laws do actually define, in grams, what constitutes non-commercial possession for different drugs. Those amounts haven’t changed - all that has changed is the penalty associated with that level of possession, changing from “One year in jail and $6,250 fine” to “$100 fine or health assessment”.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.