Drums of War

1 Like

https://twitter.com/ianfrisch/status/917565616109834241

2 Likes

“The White House sent an advance team of working-level officials in late September to check candidate sites for Trump’s “special activity” in South Korea, the source was quoted as saying”.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-missiles-trump/trump-may-visit-dmz-between-north-and-south-korea-yonhap-idUSKBN1CF1Z6?il=0

What could go wrong?

3 Likes

No! I said NO!

(Pelosi) characterized the 1946 law authorizing the president to launch pre-emptive nuclear strikes as “ancient,” calling on lawmakers from both parties to rally behind legislation reining in that unilateral power.

“It was in a different world,” she said, “and now I think it is necessary for us to address it.”

Pelosi outlined several different designs for restricting pre-emptive nuclear strikes. They range from proposals to define and expand the Cabinet members who advise the president before such an attack, to a blanket declaration that “the United States will not engage in first use of a nuclear weapon.”

Lets call it the “Baby Sitter Law”.

1221qqqaz

3 Likes

So this is a Fox News “story” about Iran:

Note the source, claiming to have knowledge of secret sites are these guys:

You’ll never believe what organization they are the political wing of? No guesses? Well, I’ll tell you, this organization:

Note the colorful logo with a red star and a gun and sickle, representing the Islamic crescent, as well as the force and hard work of the Iranian Proletariat. OH, you gasp, that CAN’T be… Fox News detests commies, especially those of the Islamic variety, and doubly so if they’ve been associated with terrorism… But there you have it. Fox news is citing a literal Islamic-Marxist organization for support on their claims that Iran is dangerous and about to burst out of nowhere with a nuke to kill us all.

7 Likes

Thread started July 23, now October 14 and surprise surprise surprise! No new wars yet.

I thought the whole reason for using the drums metaphor was that such ‘drumbeats’ start soft and slow.

Soft and slow make for a pretty lousy rally or charge.

General #1: What’s that, Tom?
General #2: It’s my war tambourine.
General #1: (shakes head). No. No. We’re still at Level 1 protocol. Don’t take this to Level 3.
Lieutenant General: (walks in holding an alto sax) Hey, it’s Free Jazz Day, right?
General #1: [quietly to himself] I hate this metaphor.

3 Likes

♫Hey General Tambourine Man, play a song for me♬

We’re literally physically threatening war with multiple countries right now to try to provoke them into making the first move. And missles are flying over Japan. But other than that, gosh, so peaceful!

5 Likes

And yet nothing has happened.

talking-heads-same-as-it

Yep.

Your northern upstairs-neighbour here - scared more than I was in the 80s when I would figure out where to take the babysat kids in case the bombs went while I was watching tv and eating chips…

It took Bush’s administration 2.5 years to make a formal plan against Iraq after expressing a desire to liberate the country to start international discussions based on bad intel from shady third party sources, and another half a year after that to enter into a war with Iraq. Pretty sure bitching about Wars not starting within 90 days of a thread being posted and little over half a year into a presidency should be generously described as moronic - but since I wouldn’t consider you a moron I feel it is fair to question why you would bring it up at all.

5 Likes