Drums of War

3 Likes
2 Likes

US and UK launch fresh strikes on Houthis in Yemen

4 Likes

Kim Jong Un: Is North Korea’s leader actually considering war?

UAE has funded political assassinations in Yemen, BBC finds

5 Likes
2 Likes

Has that ever happened?

2 Likes

I don’t think so; no example comes to mind.
Even “bomb them back into the stone age” hasn’t ever worked so far, but not for lack of trying.

(“Ah, so you’re saying we must try harder, yes?”)

3 Likes

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/23/world/middleeast/turkey-sweden-nato.html

1 Like
1 Like

We don’t want to start a war, so we’ll just launch missiles at anyone who attacks anything, and that will somehow be different. :unamused:

3 Likes
5 Likes
4 Likes

Requiescant in pace

2 Likes

Hang on, :australia: got 46 helicopters for only AUD 3.5bn!

Check out :canada: 's Cyclone helicopters, based on the Sikorsky Lockheed Martin S-92’s. The purchase cost was CAD 3.7bn for 28 of them (well, 26, we might not even get the last two, after 20 years of waiting) and they were not even delivered “mission-ready”.

Now add to that another CAD 11.2bn for maintenance. The tails started cracking pretty much on day 1 due to a design flaw and one crashed in 2020 because of software and “poor documentation”.

1 Like
1 Like
3 Likes

Same bullshit, new tin

By Charlie Stross
I am seeing newspaper headlines today along the lines of British public will be called up to fight if UK goes to war because ‘military is too small’, Army chief warns, and I am rolling my eyes.

The Tories run this flag up the mast regularly whenever they want to boost their popularity with the geriatric demographic who remember national service (abolished 60 years ago, in 1963). Thatcher did it in the early 80s; the Army general staff told her to piss off. And the pols have gotten the same reaction ever since. This time the call is coming from inside the house—it’s a general, not a politician—but it still won’t work because changes to the structure of the British society and economy since 1979 (hint: Thatcher’s revolution) make it impossible.

Reasons it won’t work: there are two aspects, infrastructure and labour.

4 Likes
2 Likes
5 Likes
2 Likes