Drums of War

6 Likes

Fuuuuuuuuucccck…

4 Likes

Has anyone figured out the mysterious origin of all of those bombs and missiles that keep landing in Yemen?

Sure, they’re dropping from Saudi planes, but did the Saudis really build them themselves?

/s

5 Likes

And here are some of the problems with Haley’s presentation:

4 Likes

It’s a mystery!

2 Likes

#11: Trying to get into art college.

Jokes aside; is it me or is there actually an ever so slight note of disappointment in the video?

Yeah and that “Made in Iran” sticker was in English to make it easier to read. Because, well, evidence.

1 Like
3 Likes

All the places the West is itching to dive into for “humanitarian reasons” yet they’re staying out of this:

Makes you think it really isn’t about people, doesn’t it.*

*This is sarcasm. I know damn well that it’s never about people.

4 Likes

“Thunder runs”.

Fucking hell.

1 Like

It seems similar to me to the tactics of the bow cavalry. Not the typical peer-to-peer armor tactics.

Probably not; that channel has a good record of producing centrist-targeted mildly-leftish agitprop.

For example:

Starts with a point that could be interpreted as friendly to the right, but then slides into a thorough stomping of Confederate apologia. Well done, IMO.

To spell it out, that Hitler vid drew my attention as a counter to the “Trump is too stupid to be truly dangerous” argument.

Stupid ≠ safe.

2 Likes

Horse archers on a battlefield shot at visible, identifiable military targets.

This was not that. A “Thunder Run” involved charging down a nighttime road at full speed in an armoured column, firing blindly into the darkness in all directions. In a war with no clear front lines and a heavily intermingled civilian population.

Any supposed VC ambush would have heard them coming a mile off and scattered. OTOH, the peasants sleeping in the surrounding villages would have frequently caught a lot of unaimed fire.

2 Likes

True. In the other hand, some horse-archer based armies were also not very careful in separating military from civilian targets (Huns, Mongols). Not a very good example to follow, anyway. I bet that axis anti-partisan forces in WW2 used similar tactics.

It is also the case that in this kind of wars, civilians are told to stay in their villages or, sometimes (Spanish-Cuban,Anglo-Boer) even in concentration camps, so everybody out in the open is considered to be an enemy.

That is a very popular war crime, yes.

See also the UK and Oz in the Malayan Emergency, and the Americans in the Phillippines.

2 Likes

Worth pointing out for those who may read this thread that

1. The idea of military vs civilian targets and any rules of war differentiating the two is really rather recent and hardly universal even today
  2. “war crime” is a 20th century idea and best not applied retroactively and certainly not a phrase to throw around casually by those who arent versed in any military law of any era or culture
1 Like
1 Like

Oh well, counteract, nothing to worry about then.

5 Likes