Drunk Florida woman riding a horse charged with DUI

Are riding-mowers only a guy thing?

2 Likes

But if she is awake, and severely impaired, she could injure the horse or cause it to bolt by yanking the bit too hard, or kicking it, or something else. I feel like, considering the other charges, that this was more about the danger to the horse than to any persons.

At UCSB, where I went to college and bikes are the major form of transportation, you can get a DUI on a bicycle.

3 Likes

Nah, son; it’s still a living animal, not a man-made device, no matter how it’s being used by a human.

Nope.

mower

4 Likes

That depends if a riding mower is considered a horse. You can ride it and steer it and it trims the grass, so maybe. But it doesn’t work with a cow.

ridingmower

1 Like

Nope!

1 Like

Lots of peoples eat horse meat, and a few do drink mare’s milk.
It is also possible to ride a cow.
Ergo, cow = horse.
QED

6 Likes

*lmao!

I never watched that show, but now I just might.

Riders are expected to obey the same rules of the road as vehicles in many jurisdictions, not just Florida. If you are too drunk to properly control your horse, it absolutely can be a risk to other people. We’re talking on average 1100 lbs of muscle packing four clubs which may be metal-tipped. Horses can and do kick, bite and startle. They will meander into traffic if you give them the signal to. And the can cause significant injury and damage if hit, and not just to the horse and rider.

Maybe it’s because I am experienced with horses and riding them both on and off roads that I don’t really have a problem with this. It actually makes sense, to me (and also helps protect the safety of the horses which don’t get a say).

7 Likes

My only problem is with some people referring to the horse as a device and not a living being.

If the woman was endangering the horse, herself, or others, then by all means charge her with reckless endangerment or whatever the equivalent thereof is.

3 Likes

Well, she was:

A horse is not a device, but it is classed as a vehicle, part of a legacy from when they were the primary mode of transportation.

Per BC Motor Vehicle Act:

“traffic” includes pedestrians, ridden or herded animals, vehicles, cycles and other conveyances, either singly or together, while using a highway to travel.

http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/LOC/complete/statreg/--%20M%20--/47_Motor%20Vehicle%20Act%20[RSBC%201996]%20c.%20318/00_Act/96318_05.xml#section119

So, you can and will be charged, if police catch you, here. It’s not that the horse is a device, but more “for the purpose of this law, we are including animals in the definition”.

2 Likes

Here in New Zealand I contacted the NZ Transport Agency directly to enquire about whether it was illegal for me to ride a bicycle while drunk. And, they said it wasn’t. They don’t see riding a bike drunk as drunk driving. They did caution that they could charge a person under other laws, e.g dangerous driving if the person was creating a nuisance, but they wouldn’t breath test. I expect the rules for horse riding could be similar here.

Still not agreeing with the DUI charge, but that is my prerogative to do so.

Public drunkenness, animal abuse? Sure; throw the book at her, but a horse is still not a vehicle, it’s a beast of burden. There’s a huge difference between nonliving objects and biological organisms.

Someone else brought up cyclists; even though it has no motor, a bike is a form of vehicle.

Seeing as this is probably the least terse exchange I’ve seen you have in weeks, I’ll just leave it at that.

Ta.

Fair point, but that won’t ever happen; as I’m not an abusive jerk who drinks and then does stupid shit in public.

:wink:

4 Likes

Okay, okay, so what if the horse was in charge? Can it be its own designated driver?

2 Likes
3 Likes

Ride to bar sober.
Park horse.
Get blotto.
Ride horse.
Get HUI.

3 Likes

The use of the word “vehicle” to mean “conveyance” predates the use of it to refer to an automobile by several hundred years.

1 Like

1 Like

my only quibble with that chart is that in some places, people both eat horse meat and drink horse milk:

Funny story, when my parents lived in Germany in the 70s, they once went out with some friends, my mom ordered a burger, and they later told her it was horsemeat instead of cow. This must have been early on, because my mom learned a fair amount of German while there.

Also, apparently riding a cow is common in the Swiss alps? Who knew?

[ETA] Lots of you lot beat me to it!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.