Horseman arrested for DUI

Originally published at: Horseman arrested for DUI | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Bojack?

netflix GIF by BoJack Horseman

11 Likes

So would he lose his license? Demerits? Slap on the wrist?

First thing I thought of when I saw “Horseman” and “DUI.” Happened several times during the show as I recall.

5 Likes

You beat me to it, I was trying to find a gif of BoJack drinking, but I’m on my phone in a doctor’s office so

3 Likes

Riding lawnmower was in the shop?

7 Likes

Shouldn’t it be RUI? Though legalese might try and call a horse a ‘conveyance’ or something it clearly is not a motor vehicle in any sense, and nobody ever said “I’m going to drive my horse around for a while” unless the horse was in a trailer.

6 Likes

Based on what the California Highway Patrol say, driving under the influence is the applicable charge.

3 Likes

You drive horses when they’re hitched, but yeah, this is clearly riding…

4 Likes

The term “driver” predates motor vehicles by a good 400 years or so.

5 Likes

How drunk was the horse?

3 Likes

I think a horse would have a greater probability of getting a rider home safely than a Tesla with FSD.

8 Likes

In the UK, it’s called “drunk in charge”.
You can get nicked for being drunk in charge of a pushbike or even a wheelbarrow!

But here’s something nice:
I lived in Ibiza for a year. There’s a small town called Santa Eulalia, where one of the local farmers used to come into town once a week to get absolutely steaming. He would park his horse outside the bar for a few hours, then flop himself over the saddle while the horse taxi’ed him home.

The local police tried to nick him once, but the Guardia Civil stepped in, told the cops to leave him alone (he was pushing 80, some kind of war hero, I don’t know all the details).

If he’s still going, I doff my cap to him. The man’s got a homing-horse, for god sake!
:grinning:

8 Likes

A friend of mine got her license revoked when she was a teenager for being drunk in the driver’s seat of her car. She was asleep.

4 Likes

From the film Cat Ballou. For those who’ve never watched it, worth watching it just for the couple of minutes of hero dog named “Dog”.

4 Likes

“…operating animals…”. Got to love the jargon.

3 Likes

No word on whether the horses were drunk too.

1 Like

They probably can’t do anything to his motor vehicle license, because that wasn’t in use. So he’ll be fined or jailed for the specific offense, but that would be the end of it.

I’m just glad the horse wasn’t injured.

4 Likes

219-1

7 Likes

My grandmother once told me a story about her uncle who would do something similar with a horse and wagon. I don’t recall her specifically mentioning alcohol being involved, but the ancestor in question was most certainly asleep.

3 Likes