Drunk gentleman gets aggressive mid-flight, punches passenger before plane is diverted

I was trying to figure that out, too. Odd.

Welcome to Boingboing! English here is not like the language spoken elsewhere, and “gentleman” is often used ironically where others might use “obnoxious jerk” or “petty criminal”.

Case in point:

Stick around. Much will become clear (although much never will). :grinning:

8 Likes

My family of 4 went to LA and back to PA a year ago for $1,000 total. If you don’t think $250 per person for a transcontinental round trip flight is cheap, well, I don’t know. I remember paying $800 for the same trip in 1980, which is over two grand in today’s money.

I’m picking my wife up from the airport in an hour. One-way from Atlanta to PA for $160. That’s cheap. Driving it would take two days and cost about the same with gas and one night at a motel.

It’s true that we have much better tools in 2019 to find flights than we did in 1980; I imagine that’s really the factor here. Back then you could basically call an airline and beg for a good rate or get a travel agent to book your flights and hope for the best. These days I can use various sites to predict flight price trends, compare rates among dozens of airlines, and even bid on seats.

But I don’t think that access to better rates is making people want to get their drink on when they get on board, or that the lower rates go, the “lower class” people are making things less classy in the air.

2 Likes

Oh, Australia. Never mind. bet his great granddaddy was a ruffian, exiled from England back in the 18th century.

if someone asks me if I would like to wipe their ass and if I can do it deep I might also get offended!

They might limit the alcohol, or start using breathalyzers. :thinking:

1 Like

Most of the obnoxious drunks I’ve encountered on plane flights have worn shoes more expensive than my whole outfit, including all the clothes in my carry-on.

5 Likes

This just proves that we need to travel “Fifth Element” style where the passengers are sedated for the duration of the journey.

“Violentman” would be a more apt description.

Not surprising considering it was during peak travel season to a non-hub city.

Quite the contrary, air travel on the whole is far less expensive than it used to be. There’s a reason why the term “jet set” came to define people of means. Air travel in the heady days of the '50s and '60s was expensive relative to today.

“The real cost of air travel — the price of a ticket adjusted for inflation — has fallen sharply over the past 20 years, even with tremendous surges in the cost of oil.”

In fact the US has two of them: Frontier and Spirit airlines. Their operating strategy is they sell you a place to sit, nothing more. Everything else will cost you. And I haven’t flown Spirit, but I have used Frontier and they do sell alcohol (if that’s what you meant by “full bar”).

As an aside, both airlines rank low on most consumer surveys because of this policy and, again, while I can’t speak for Spirit, Frontier makes it pretty clear upfront that they charge for everything aside from one small “personal item” (like a purse or small bag). That said, I found their staff and the experience overall to be rather pleasant; not sure why they rank so low.

I’m surprised alcohol is even served, especially on short flights.
But I’m equally sure the Lobbyists for the Liquor industry and the Airlines made sure they paid-off the right members in Congress to make sure
it stays legal

Maybe off topic but I just want to point out that there are no buses from Australia to Singapore. Plenty of discount airlines though, but the seating is almost unbearable for me.

I don’t know what the US Congress has to do with a flight from Australia to Singapore on a Singaporean-registered aircraft belonging to a Singaporean airline.

2 Likes

Such passenger is a real threat on board.

My point exactly. If a Delta flight purchased a month in advance from two major cities an hour away by air, during peak season, is just expected to cost over $1200 for the cheap seats, air prices can get utterly insane. I’m glad we have airlines like Southwest that give up some common conveniences for lower fares.

Gold Coast is a minor regional Airport that has at best one flight per day to most Inter destinations. Apparently they went to Sydney as it allowed more options for people rebooking to try to make Singapore on time for other flights etc. Sydney is Aus’s busiest hub with the most options when derplords ruin your flight and day…

Like so many idealized words, the aspiration never really had much to do with the reality. I don’t think BB tarnished it; I think mankind tarnished it.

1 Like

I was responding to a comment made about drunks on board and why liquor is legal.
Regulations are the government’s job, law makers are influenced by Lobbyists…etc.
It was a stretch, I admit!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.