Drunk tourists face 10 years for spray painting ancient wall in Thailand

remember creepytings ?

has been banned from 524 million acres of public lands during her two years of probation. […] U.S. Magistrate Judge Sheila K. Oberto also sentenced Casey Nocket, 23, to 200 hours of community work.

4 Likes

catherine-tate-bovvered-shakespeare

13 Likes

If they had glued googley eyes on the wall, BoingBoing would be celebrating.

8 Likes

Same here, really.
I have no respect nor patience for tourists that act like shit in their host countries. You are GUESTS. How would you like it if I come to your place an spray paint stupid shit on your walls? And thats its a wall of a historic structure makes it even worse. Seriously, if you can´t behave yourself, fuck you. You deserve thai prison.
Stay at home or act respectfull.

7 Likes

The guy is from Liverpool, but I’m having some trouble here. Where is the chick from?

how much dumb shit is it exactly that deserves ten years in a prison that compares badly, human rights wise, to an American one?

I mean this article basically says two really stupid kids did something really stupid and are likely to go through extreme torture and you’re like yeah, good one. they probably mooned some nuns at the Vatican 'n shit*, teach them a lesson.

*assuming your definition of dumb does not include murder and other violent offenses.

7 Likes

From Canada-land

1 Like

It’s up to ten years, people. Some of you need to RTFA.
Wonder how long you’d get for defacing Stonehenge?

3 Likes

In Thailand, “up to” means they actually could do 10 years for this. It’s not one of those “it never really happens” sentences.

3 Likes

The same people who scream that two years for getting caught with weed is nuts because it’s a “victimless crime” (like graffiti, mind you).

NOTE: I’m against jail sentences for most crime, but you can’t cherry pick which people get punished worse. That’s what the damned courts already do.

1 Like

Your argument seems to be:
“either all sentences are acceptable or no sentences are acceptable.”

3 Likes

I call the phenomenon the law and order left.

Apparently “Canada”. I’m not sure where in Merseyside that is - must be tiny.

He’s lucky they didn’t give him 10 years for that shirt.

1 Like

You’re traveling, on vacay presumably, and you buy spray paint to tag an historic site. Huh. I never really considered doing graffiti on vacation, I guess.

1 Like

I’m just glad it wasn’t the USA this time.

1 Like

Clearly French nationals visiting Canada who just missed home:

Pusy-et-Épenoux.

4 Likes

My definition of “dumb” includes defacing/vandalizing historic landmarks, shoplifting etc.

1 Like

Send them back with the proviso that their passports are revoked, so they can stay in the UK. I’d be willing to bet they support Brexit.

Art is all about the reaction.

5 Likes