Ducking finally, Apple eliminating its most annoying autocorrection

Originally published at: Ducking finally, Apple eliminating its most annoying autocorrection | Boing Boing

3 Likes

holy-forking-shirt-shocked

13 Likes

It’s a start.

Why suggest ‘well’ when it’s clear that I use ‘we’ll’ all the ducking time? It doesn’t even give ‘we’ll’ as an option.

Why is ‘Tom’ ALWAYS the first suggestion instead of ‘tomorrow’? The context is all about doing something at a later date. I don’t have any Toms in my life.

My smart phone failed parts of 5th grade.

6 Likes

Crazy I was just gonna say I was looking up old Casio “rom packs” and my iPhone changed it to Tom every time I typed it. It was driving me a little nuts. Ha. It’s possible some of those times were my fat fingers actually hitting the T since it’s next to the R… but I’m gonna blame auto correct. Ha

2 Likes

At least that example contains the same letters and substitutes a commonly used word/name. I drink tea every day, and when I put it on the shopping list it always turns it into “yea”. Like, what am I, King James or something?

6 Likes

What they need to do is stop auto-correcting Spanglish.

5 Likes

Duck yeah!

Happy Big Lebowski GIF

4 Likes

The only autocorrect feature I will use is the suggestions. Anything else drives me crazy, and frankly like craighoward said the suggestions don’t work all that well either.

I will sdmit thst this dows csuse problwms from timw to timw.

3 Likes

I think their algorithm is focused on social media, and so they prioritized names over other words. I get a lot of those, like “Alia’s” when I’m typing “alias”, etc. It seems particularly biased against technological terms.

What I really want is to manage a personalized autocorrect list: the names of family members, my preferred email address (not my dead address, which it is fixated on), and other common personal words.

3 Likes

I can’t stand autocorrect, suggestions, or any of that predictive crap. I’m content with underlining suspect words which I can choose whether to change. Obviously others find auto features helpful and feel they speed up typing. On the contrary I find the stuff slows me down, especially suggestions. It’s like someone is looking over my shoulder constantly offering opinions which have nothing to do with what I’m writing.

5 Likes

This seems like a lot of matrix algebra to throw at what’s basically a bowdlerization problem.

4 Likes

…except with Apple products, which is is annoyingly biased towards. I like to bake and have frequent discussions about red fruit that grows on trees. Autocorrect refuses to ever let me not capitalize that goddam word. It also autocorrects random words to “iPhone”, “iPad” and even “Newton” with annoying frequency. Although part of me giggles with acknowledgment at the last one.

5 Likes

Dinally!

3 Likes

i added a text replacement rule ages ago, telling it if i type “fucking” to replace it with “fucking” – problem solved. and as for autocorrect in general, what helped me is that i would just keep typing ahead as badly/wrongly as usual on my touchscreen, and let it figure it out as i went along. it seems to have gotten much better with time, so now i can type the most horrendous, gin-fueled misspellings, and it just knows what i meant. the only thing that really throws it off is i have a tendency to accidentally hit the space bar when i mean the letter C or something else down around the space bar, and throwing a space into the middle of a word really confuses it.

2 Likes

Given the number of other issues iOS has with non-bowldy text (as other here have said “well” when you want “we’ll”, and “yea” for “Tea”) I don’t think the primary issue is avoiding smutty words. I think it is overly aggressive in general, and thinks most people’ text is maybe a bit more like most other people’s text then it actually is…

I think the quality of typing recognition has gone down over time while the accuracy of speech recognition has gone up. I don’t know if there is an underlying reason for that, or just different teams…

2 Likes

A different time, and a different implementation, but …

1 Like

I always turn autocorrect off (and leave suggestions on). Otherwise it’s precisely the kind of struggle against a machine that will drive me into a rage within seconds.

I really wanted to get spicy roast duck for lunch…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.