Durham protesters turn themselves in at police station after pulling down Confederate statue

I like the analogy, but it’s flawed.

The people who will not see injustice, bigotry and inhumane atrocity don’t want to see it; whereas the majority of the creations of Westworld cannot ‘see’ anything outside of their programming even if they want to.

5 Likes

‘amathia’

1 Like

Think of how many westerosi lives could have been saved: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbwroS0YP54

2 Likes

What an eloquent statement about the pitfalls of a state mandate of local enforcement. He manages to point out the absurdity of the state law while at the same time, implying that his office has no intention of doing more than slapping wrists. All delivered in an admirable, lawyer-y monotone.

A perfect inverse of a redneck local police refusing to investigate or prosecute hate crimes by the KKK against minorities.

2 Likes

The Guardian view on Confederate statues: they must fall

4 Likes

Indeed. King developed the tactics with Bayard Rustin, based primarily on the works of Gandhi. There is in fact a statue of Gandhi outside of the King center here in town. I’ve not read extensively on Gandhi during the interwar period, but I’d suspect he was at least marginally influenced by the wave of assassinations and bombings by anarchists, nationalists, and some communists in the late 19th and early 20th century, noting the reactions and effects of them.

If I had to pinpoint a novelty in King’s approach, it would probably be his use of television to reach a wide American audience. The children’s march was a perfect example of that. Seeing those kids, dressed in their sunday best, set upon by dogs and firehoses really caused an international reaction.

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.