Earth's magnetic poles may be getting ready to flip

The claim that the Earth’s field might be about to flip is down to a general weakening of its strength over the last few decades. The most recent measurements have the global field weakening overall at about 5% per decade, but it is actually strengthening in some parts of the World such as the Indian Ocean.

However, it is not clear that this will result in a flip, the geological record shows plenty of times where the field weakens and then strengthens again. We simply don’t know enough about the dynamo to make a prediction. The good news about flips is that they don’t seem to be associated with mass extinctions, so environmental damage may be limited. Power grids and satellites however - well there’s not so much geological evidence to help us there.

29 Likes

Wait, what? It ain’t gravity, it’s the earth’s spin. But it’s a myth anyway - your toilet would have to be dozens of miles wide for the Coriolis effect to make a difference. Perhaps if you poop like an exogorth?

9 Likes

When the poles shift, all Teslas will drive backward!

11 Likes

It’s okay, it’s just the Earth’s population check. “Climate change ain’t enough for you pesky humans? How’s this for ya?” All the while the sun and moon laugh with contempt at us puny humans.

6 Likes

Is it caused by mutating neutrinos?

3 Likes

“Guess who’s in charge now, suckas!” —Australia

36 Likes

I hope this waits until next September or so. Back-to-back New England summers would be sweet.

I’d probably celebrate by heading north to the Caribbean for a week.

3 Likes

Let’s face it folks. What we are really talking about here is the end of all Ginger life as we know it.

10 Likes

Gingers are more resistant to cancer than the rest of us; they may sunburn more easily but will have higher survival rates.

6 Likes

Forget about cancer. If the UV protection drops by 90% i’m going to burst into flames.

13 Likes

Seems to me people have been talking about this for a few decades by now. I’m thinking somewhere along the line someone heard about it and started developing considerably more insane ideas about a “pole shift”.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pole_shift_hypothesis

Wasn’t there some quaint adage about humanity, over its limited lifespan, being unlikely to witness rare astronomical phenomena?

2 Likes

Two of my favourite things about the movie:

• the bit when Stanley Tucci nonchalantly lights the spray from a can of air freshener to torch the peach (representing the Earth) that Aaron Eckhart’s holding

• Delroy Lindo, one of Lewisham’s greatest sons. Everything’s better with Delroy Lindo.

4 Likes

We’ll have to throw out all the MRI scanners then ey?. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I for one welcome our new Brazilian overlords.

6 Likes

I already have my UV-blocking sunglasses ready!

3 Likes

When one group of strippers leave a stage and a new group of strippers enter a stage on equal time segments during the day or night.

single-guy-vs-ninja-turtle-rimshot

Try the steak.

22 Likes

The pole shift preppers may or may not be legion but they’re organized. So far as I’ve been able to find, the Pole Shift Survival site is the only extant online mirror of the old CD3WD (“CDs for Third World Development”) repository that continues to be updated. It’s full of technical reference for (re)building industry or social mechanisms in the wake of a calamity—and the pole shift stuff is quarantined in a dedicated folder!

1 Like

Personally i’m stocking up on powdered milk, eggs, and bread-like substances. Might as well let my panic fill in for any pending snow storms too.

I can stare wistfully at my compass while I flip my ersatz french toast.

1 Like

hqdefault%20(1)

None.

11 Likes

Jesus, I’m not sure I want to live in such a world, without that fiery hair.

6 Likes