Earth's magnetic poles may be getting ready to flip

satellites exposed to the resulting radiation have experienced memory failure

Instead of The Core, I’ll watch the Dilbert episode “The Knack.” Along with the doctor’s diagnosis of young Dilbert, I really enjoy what happens to society after the satellites go down. :rofl:

2 Likes

I remember Alex Jones types peddling the panic that we were about to be flung off into space any day now a few years ago. Right after peddling the panic about Florida being about to fall into the ocean.

2 Likes

apoc_wow
“Apocalypse Wow”, James Finn Garner

10 Likes

Dude, you say that like it’s a bad thing.

7 Likes

It’s likely to take centuries. On geological timescales it’s fast. On human timescales, it’s gradual.

5 Likes

Wow thats a lot of overlords.

1 Like

“… mate!” - Nu Zild

The auroras are going to be awesome.

6 Likes

I watched the programme ‘do we really need the moon’ on the bbc1 channel last night and was mildly shocked and surprised that if the moon were to continue it’s orbital spin out from the earth’s orbit it would make our seasons go away devastating the crop rotation let alone the present food chain problem arriving at the poles with the melting ice…

on another note I watched an old movie about the transatlantic tunnel :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We’re going to need a bigger degauss coil.

5 Likes

You’ll have to re-train all the Boy Scouts.

4 Likes

adjust to the changes = die horribly due to increased solar radiation?

1 Like

We’re working on a schedule so everyone gets to do some oppressing of the masses according to a fair distribution.

6 Likes

Well, global warming is likely to lead to the ocean rising and covering a lot of Florida in the next fifty odd years, so he’s actually not that far off on that one. I assume he’s a warming denier though.

1 Like

Yes - among other terrifying impacts.

Poles have generally reversed every 300,000 years and it’s been 780,000 since the last one. So its not a billion year timescale, it’s a 10,000 to 100,000 one.

3 Likes

Well then, see you at the poles.

3 Likes

I was always bothered that space 1999 never addressed the fact that the Moon departing caused TEOTWAWKI. I know, silly point about a silly show.

They’re Prepared.

2 Likes

The Poles I know would never do that.

4 Likes

There is some thinking that believe that the pole shifts bring about great cataclysms - the sinking of Atlantis, the ‘great flood’ of which the bible version is just the latest interpretation of a much older myth, and bring about new ages of man - a reset so to speak. Metaphysical thought on survival is to cocoon yourself in a spiritual mercaba (think of a three dimensional star of David).

Plus there’s all that real sciency stuff that will probably happen.

Won’t the flat-earthers and science-deniers have egg on their face when that day comes!