Eat more Kale: the movement, and the backlash

I think there may be a supertaster factor with sweet potatoes. I don’t particularly like them either. That goes for most such vegetables (except regular potatoes, which are excellent).

And… I don’t really like pumpkin pie, either. I mean, it’s good when all you can taste is the sugar and the spices (I do like pumpkin spice), but the pumpkin taste itself is no good. A sweet potato pie sounds fairly vile, though I’m sure it’s fine (I want to say I’ve actually tried one before but I only vaguely recall the incident).

I used to think I liked sweet potato fries, but it turns out it’s because the place I used to get them from drenched them in so much honey you couldn’t actually taste the sweet potato.

There’s just something in these things that is disagreeable. Like cilantro (which I like), only some people are sensitive to it, I guess.

Seaweed is awesome. Particularly with a little salt.

Kale… not so much.

1 Like

Kale is hideous and evil, and should it become extinct I shall rejoice.

It’s a cultivar (breed) of Brassical oleracea – a rather varied plant, for other cultivars that some humans seem to like eating include broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, and cabbage. Yes, these floral horrors are all the same plant, and just as vomit-inducing in yr. hmbl. cmmntr.

Can’t go near the stuff. Don’t want to go near the stuff. Tastes like concentrated essence of bitterness overlying a rancid rotting-meat sweetness combined with a texture like damp plywood. Took me decades to figure out that almost all my food-aversion behaviour relates to different breeds of a single plant species, but it all makes sense now.

1 Like

So, in other words, pretty much how I and other supertasters feel about cilantro. Got it.

Try them mashed, with rosemary. Oooo, delicious.
Also: whipped cream and bacon? And you guys look at us funny when we have baked beans for breakfast?

1 Like

Interesting. Mind you, I prefer savoy cabbage cooked with butter and bacon, because who wouldn’t?
(BTW, just finished Neptune’s Brood, and that line about a paid subordinate being cheaper than a guarded prisoner had me hopping up and down with glee. Nice)

Try roasting any and all of those in the oven with a little olive oil and salt & pepper.

Wow. If you’ve ever recounted the great Waiting for the Second Coming family story, please direct me to it!

Strangely I love Kale, Cabbage (thank goodness because half my family is Polish), Brussels Sprouts, but HATE Broccoli. I can tolerate cauliflower depending on preparation.

Kale is the least offensive member of the family to me, and I love it easily as much as I love Spinach (and capitalizing the names of vegetables apparently).

Unfortunately, the rather unrealistic portion of health enthusiasts often blow the positive aspects of a given vegetable to such unrealistic proportions that there is bound to be a deep sense of disillusionment followed by resentment.

I have also a great love of beets, sweet potatoes, and all things starchy… but this is also because for me they fill the gap that wheat/flour leaves.

Also beets are just yummy. The greens are as tasty as collards (which are tasty IMO), and the roots leave lots of options open while also creating a really appealing red color.

But really, the nutrients you get from one place you can probably get from other places if you just hate the taste of whatever particular thing. Preparation makes a big difference too though.

I hate cabbage with barley and pork shoulder, but I love cabbage with lamb in tomato sauce.

1 Like

One of these days, I suppose… but not so far, no.

So, you will be one of the few who survive the menace…

Just Kale Me: How your Kale habit is slowly destroying your health and the world | Melissa McEwen on food anthropology, economics, and culture :wink:

2 Likes

I had an excellent sweet potato salad recipe involving lime juice, black beans, some jalapeno and other bits. I was so damn sad that I hated it because it sounded awesome.

Yes, beets. BEETS! They are full of delicious blood color and I make a killer borscht. I also roast them for just nomming and pickled beets, omg.

This is where I admit I’ve never eaten pumpkin pie. So maybe I’ll try it that way?

Actually, you’re right. Borscht is delicious. I’ll admit, I have never tried roasting them. I shall endeavour to find other ingredients to match, and make a completely red/purple roast dinner.
(ooo, just remembered; the place where I work has a splendid supermarket nearby that sells purple cauliflower. That’s a start. You can get purple potatoes too…)

1 Like

Though it is easiest to roast them whole, I really like to cut them into chunks for maximum roast-y goodness. You get that crispy, almost caramelized snap with a little olive oil. I love those purple potatoes… and a delicious piece of beef, and some red wine… a nice dessert of berry trifle…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.