US Sen. John Kennedy exposes kale as a gateway drug to woke-ness

Originally published at: US Sen. John Kennedy exposes kale as a gateway drug to woke-ness | Boing Boing

6 Likes

If it were only that easy…

8 Likes

So we’ve reached the “angry kids shouting about having to eat vegetables” stage of politics.

42 Likes

We’ve been there for a while.

26 Likes

Fair point.

33 Likes

Worst gateway drug ever. New Orleans can do so much better.

23 Likes

At least “woke people” are “high IQ” :woman_shrugging:

13 Likes

39 Likes

I can imagine that in late 1920s and early 1930s, most broccoli it was overcooked into boring green mush with a pretty unappealing texture.

12 Likes

Pretty much unless you lived near a farm, it was probably all canned mush. That was even before we had flash frozen veggies.

14 Likes

Some vegetables can be dangerous to one’s development, I guess. If only some of them weren’t ambulatory. /s

19 Likes

Weird flex. Georgia is the second-largest producer of kale in the United States. The University of Georgia’s Ag extension recommends farmers expand into planting more of this crop.

28 Likes

He used these.

9 Likes
23 Likes

Sautéd kale, onion and great northern beans with vegan cornbread is a weekly dinner for me.

24 Likes

I remember those comments, as I recall it caused quite a brouhaha among America’s broccoli growers and may have even cost George H.W. Bush a non-trivial number of votes in the agriculture industry.

ETA: Apparently George voiced his hatred of broccoli no fewer than seventy times during the course of his Presidency. Now that was a man with a vendetta against brassicas.

vile-weed

23 Likes

Not kale-related, but I like to take every opportunity to post my @beschizza’ed pic of Kennedy and his weird fleshy lips and eye-mouths:

16 Likes

Then the entirety of the Nethetlands is woke mother fuckers. The national comfort food is Stamppot - the equivalent in the US of mac and cheese, is made from mashed potatos and kale. What an asshole.

18 Likes

That sounds like a really good flavor blend with excellent nutrition. Versatile too, if change up the spices and herbs.

9 Likes

Yeah otherwise it’s really bland. Have lived here as US expat for 20 years - we cook batches up all winter long.

11 Likes