US Sen. John Kennedy exposes kale as a gateway drug to woke-ness

That doesn’t sound bad at all. I looked at some recipes online, and now I think I might try my hand at some of this.

12 Likes

I was only aware of it as a lone comment, not an entire manifesto! Seventy mentions of disliking broccoli, coupled with what we know about Republican projection, makes me believe Bush the Elder had an illicit broccoli lovechild.

18 Likes

Mangochin’s Weekly Kale Salad

-Kale, remove stems and shred (don’t buy the pre-cut bagged stuff)
-Pumpkin seeds
-Dried cranberries
-Feta cheese

Dressing:
1 tbsp mustard
1 to 1 ratio of olive oil and white balsamic vinegar

Put the kale in a large mixing bowl
Mix kale with a spoon of dressing
Massage the dressing laden kale leaves with your hands to soften it for 1-2 minutes*

Proceed to make a salad.

*I know its gross, but it makes the kale softer

12 Likes

High IQ “woke-ists”.

Lol, What a terrible speech.

7 Likes

I got turned on to Kale Sauerkraut sandwiches:
Toasted bread, one slice spread with tahini, the other with mustard (spicy brown, by choice)
Kale, steamed just until it wilts
Sauerkraut drained, so as to not soak the bread immediately
Pile up the kale and sauerkraut to make a nice big sandwich

Delicious, at least to my palate, and an admirable vegan stand-in for the Rueben.

8 Likes

I wouldn’t assume that. Tons of cities around the world still have operating street and produce markets from before then, and we know there was a whole pipeline from farms in rural areas into cities. You can even find photos of early supermarkets showing produce and fresh cut flowers.

Plus there’s stuff like this. Some industry magazine with distributors advertising fresh vegitables and fruits available out of season, and shipped from the west coast. And articles describing fresh peas in barrels and crates etc. In 1917.

Hell by the 1880s steam ships and rail roads were brining live, fresh oysters and lobsters to places like Chicago and Denver.

You can make Kimchi out of it.

8 Likes

rob lowe GIF

4 Likes

Although, weirdly, Jackson himself recently came out with a bizarre statement about how meat substitutes turn one into a woke leftie liberal and he’s sticking with eating nothing but red meat, thank you very much! The politicization of food is getting super-weird.

11 Likes

I’m sure Jordaddy is happy someone is still paying attention to him.

11 Likes

If this is the definition, I’m proud to be “Woke” (and if it makes people woke we all should be eating kale)

25 Likes

Tell me you’ve never had kale chips without saying it.

17 Likes

Will he also denounce eating collard greens?

9 Likes

“Kale? In East Prussia that was what the pigs got.” – my grandma

For some reason my mother who had cooked it was not amused.

6 Likes

It’s surprisingly interesting stuff. Supposedly.

Least ways there are, obviously. Multiple BBC series that get into it.

The historic farms series is good chill out fodder that’s about recreating the economies of small farms in different eras. It comes to mind because a significant chunk of several of the series is about how fresh fruit and vegetables went from outlying small farms to urban markets.

Then Supersizers Go/Eat is more rooted in social structures of the time. With Sue Perkins telling you how bad ladies underwear of the given eras were. The name comes from the way it started in an Edwardian period psuedo-parody of Supersize Me. It comes to mind because it’s fucking funny.

The Supersizers... - Wikipedia

6 Likes

I wonder if we should encourage him to investigate his diet for more woke foods. There’s a lot instances of homosexual behavior among cattle, sheep and pigs. Hens commonly mount other hens to determine the (ahem) pecking order. 90% of flowering plants are monoecious (Individuals having both male and female flowers). Over 500 species of fish can change gender. Rainbow trout is obviously LGBTQ themed.

He should probably consider subsisting on a diet of diet Brawndo

6 Likes

I will check it out. Food/agriculture History is something I kind of fell into when reading…

8 Likes

See also ”liberal"

1. willing to respect or accept behavior or opinions different from one’s own; open to new ideas.

2. relating to or denoting a political and social philosophy that promotes individual rights, civil liberties, democracy, and free enterprise.

11 Likes

Yup. “Progressive” is sometimes used like it’s a bad thing… I’m like, so you hate societal progress?

12 Likes

Am I the only one who finds arugula (rocket) unbelievably bitter? Like chicory turned up to 11?

I don’t like coriander (cilantro) either - but kale? yum yum!

5 Likes

well i for one, welcome our “kale-eating, woke-ass, liberal overlords”.
happily :blush:

(being a kale-eating, woke-ass liberal voter, you betcha!)

13 Likes