Eating nuts helps 'busting a nut' be more fun

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/19/eating-nuts-helps-busting-a.html

1 Like

Well this explains everything.

1 Like

5 Likes

Is no one eating nuts right now?!

12 Likes

This article (advertisement) brought to you by Mr. Peanut. Remember Planter brands when shopping.

2 Likes

Depending on the controls, this could suffer from the same flaw as all the other “nuts do X for your health” studies - the studies only detected the benefits of being wealthier and having a better diet.

11 Likes

“Healthy?” Not overly so. “Young?” Not by a long shot.

Nuts.

3 Likes

I wonder what inspired them to think nuts might effect this region:

5 Likes

There really should be a blanket caveat on all health research reporting:

1. This was probably paid for by someone with a vested interest
  2. The sample size probably was too small and confounding factors not controlled enough to draw the reported conclusion
  3. A later study will probably find no effect

Checks paper

Funded by the International Nut and Dried Fruit Council.

83 person sample. No placebo so no blinding. No diet controls. Significant differences between control and test groups. No report of sexual frequency. No comparison of sex hormone levels. Extremely small difference in mean change reported for the measures.

30 Likes

The randomized controlled trial, which was recently published in Nutrients, showed a significant increase in the orgasmic function (P = .037) and sexual desire (P = .040) of men of reproductive age who received the nut intervention in comparison with an age-matched control group.

So, self reported or what?
Because I know some people who wouldn’t at all mind helping.

3 Likes

“Nut intervention”

[Snickers]

6 Likes

Click and read the thread, it’s so on topic

6 Likes

When I worked at a health food store, all the other dudes routinely ate pepitas (a variety of pumpkin seed) because it was supposed to be amazing for your prostate.

I have no idea where they got this information, but that industry is chock-full of woo so I wouldn’t be surprised if it were our bulk-goods salesman clueing the guys into his secret for erotic power.

Sex sells all sorts of shit, smh.

6 Likes

That’s just fuckin’ nuts!

6 Likes

I don’t really have a dog in this fight…

7 Likes

Does this include drupes and legumes?

3 Likes

Pubmed is free and easy.

3 Likes

This was a tiny study (43 men eating nuts compared to 40 men who did not) and there were many variables which were not controlled. They did not have a uniform diet in which all the men ate the same foods in the same amounts except for the nuts, for example. And other factors like over the counter medications were also not controlled.

So what this study shows is - nothing useful. At best, it shows some areas which could benefit from a lot more study. It’s certainly not worth an article here for anything but click bait.

3 Likes

As a partner at a Research & Design firm I can confidently say I would not like to have been the researcher on this project, and I definitely wouldn’t want to assign someone to it.

3 Likes

And the comments about nuts… both kinds.
BRB going to the grocery store for some research materials.

7 Likes