Eating people will not give you the nutrition you need

2 Likes

There have been a handful of cultures documented in modern times to have practiced cannibalism, and always it’s an important factor in their religion. This is something very different from desperate survivors eating their own dead.

1 Like

I sense a new diet fad promoting human flesh as “Extra Lean!”

8 Likes

This from New World Encyclopedia (my comment in brackets):

Famed Mexican muralist Diego Rivera, claimed [emphasis on “claimed”] in his autobiography that during a period in 1904, he and his companions ate “nothing but cadavers” purchased from the local morgue. Rivera was fully aware of the shock value of this tale. Rivera claimed that he thought cannibalism a way of the future, remarking, “I believe that when man evolves a civilization higher than the mechanized but still primitive one he has now, the eating of human flesh will be sanctioned. For then man will have thrown off all of his superstitions and irrational taboos.”

3 Likes

Some people practice cannibalism for ratings.

5 Likes

Some do it for survival

And others just for the shear entertainment value

7 Likes

I’ve heard that just eating rabbit will kill you, as it is too lean. But not for sure that is the case…

At any rate, people kill and eat things for 3 reasons: Food, Pests, and Fun! Never underestimate the fun value!

On a scale of between French Fry and Baked Potato, how full would you say your heart is?

5 Likes

Bet you can’t eat just one.

3 Likes

When Lewis & Clark wintered in Washington they wrote about how, even though wild game was abundant, survival was very difficult because the game was too lean.

Back to the article: Why hunt humans? For the same reason you hunt, and eat, any other predator; you kill things that are a danger to you, you eliminate competitors for the other things you hunt, and it’s silly to waste the calories of what you just killed.

4 Likes

It’s a real thing.

8 Likes

“Does this clown taste funny to you?”

16 Likes

Yeah, this occurred to me. Sure, there is a ritualistic aspect to it - for example, I’m reading about a campaign in the 1860s against British colonisation in which selective cannibalism (part of an older tradition amongst the people concerned) was explicitly and consciously used to add psychological pressure to the British settlers.

However, I get the sense that the older tradition was at least partly based on necessity; the land isn’t especially fertile, and there is a distinct shortage of fats, animal-based protein and plant-based food sources. Seafood is abundant, but that’s only really useful within a few kms of the coast.

2 Likes

not very fun, apparently.

1 Like

Last time I had rabbit it was accompanied by the sounds of ‘ting, ting, ting’ as I spit out the buckshot onto the plate. Haven’t had rabbit since.

1 Like

There is so much more to life than mere nutrition, don’t you agree?

9 Likes

You just have to run it through an MRI machine first.

/duck!

3 Likes

So you open “Peoples of the Earth”, where you serve vat…people. Hell, pay celebrities for tissue samples so you can serve “Starburgers®”!

You know people will go, don’t try to lie ;8>.

“Taste immortality: Try our new Keith Richards special!”

4 Likes
2 Likes

“Eating people will not give you the nutrition you need”

Neither will a hot fudge Sunday, and still…

3 Likes

“People: The other (other) white meat.”

Well, It is literally called long pig.

5 Likes