Eating this 850-pound pot brownie would be like smoking 222 fat joints

Seems like you’d be more likely to get sick from eating too much brownie than from the dose of THC. Pot, as you allude to, has a very low acute toxicity. And this brownie supposedly has a dose of 3.8 pounds of brownie per joint’s worth of THC.

The incident you relate seems to have far different concentrations than the brownie in the OP.

No tobacco, nicotine or cannabis, but fail to mention alcohol, huh “Guinness”?

2 Likes

Yeah that’s what 100mg looks like in someone who isn’t used to it. Not even close to an overdose.

At one time, I was pretty much a pro when it came to smoking. Stoned all day. Fully functional while high. So I though edibles would be no problem. I was wrong. It’s a completely different experience.

That said, I’ve experimented and found that 5 grams isn’t just enjoyable, it’s incredible. It creates a mild mental and physical elevation that lasts for hours. My supply is gone now, but when I had it, my house was immaculate and my yoga practice was taken to another level.

2 Likes

I’m a daily user of concentrates that average around 85% THC, and I treat edibles very carefully. I can dab all day and be fine, but if I eat too much its a multi-day fog of lethargy. I found it kind of distressing when legalization came around and newbies started treating edibles as a “starter” method of cannabis use. It’s really not. It’s great for therapeutic uses and if you really want couchlock (works for airplane travel for me), but for a neophyte, just take a hit or two from a joint or bowl.

5 Likes

I think you might be making two math errors. One is that you are weighing the joints instead of the THC. The other is a broad difference between how much THC you uptake from a joint vs from an edible. A joint that clocks in at 20% THC will have 200 mg of THC, but if you eat a 200mg edible, you will get MUCH more stoned that smoking the joint.

2 Likes

That works out as a specific gravity of 11.9 kN/m3 - is this within the normal range for brownies?

1 Like

Seeing as how a cubic foot of water is only 62 pounds, that seems a tad unlikely.

At 3’ x 3’ x 1.25’ the brownie is 11.25 cubic feet. If it were just water, it would be about 62.4 pounds per cubic foot, so 702 pounds. Not sure about the density of flour, butter, etc. But 890 pounds still seems off - but professional bakers tend to be precise in their measurements, so that may have been the wet weight of the ingredients? And a lot of weight and volume cooked off? Dunno…

1 Like

Remember, when you eat THC, it takes a completely different route through your system, smoked it’s decarboxylized, and straight into your bloodstream then to your brain. Eaten it’s into your stomach, absorbed by bloodstream, converted by your liver to a much more psychedelic form of THC, much slower in arriving… and lasts much longer.

The strain, as in smoking, does make a big difference to the effect it will have on you.

3 Likes

Nice!
I would like to have a slice or two.

2 Likes

The suggested serving size for a brownie is about 1 oz, and 3.8 lbs is 60 times that. Does a typical pot brownie have only 1/60th the THC of a joint? If so, then I retract my criticism.

2 Likes

The staff look pretty mellow.

Horizontally or vertically?

1 Like

How high were they that baking an 850 # edible was an actual thing to do?

1 Like

According to the values in the linked article, the brownie is only ~0.03% marijuana (0.005% thc). So a reasonable dose of 20 mg of thc would be 400g (just under a pound) of brownie. So not potent

For this brownie 200 mg THC would require eating 9 pounds (4 kg) of brownie

2 Likes

More like 444 joints, because after a half an hour you’d go “Why am I not feeling anything?” and have another.

And then you will find out having another was a Bad Idea.

1 Like

Yeah, cannabis is a highly variable plant with loads of psychotropic chemicals. Some people just don’t react well (or at all).

1 Like

Off-topic question, but have you experienced any cannabis-associated hyperemesis syndrome symptoms? I have had a couple kids who are heavy users of high potency concentrates who have had issues with this. As it seems to be a fairly new (or at least recently recognized) thing, I am trying to get the “not written up by disapproving docs” side of the experience.

2 Likes

200mg of THC is a large amount. Edibles in dispensaries are sold in pieces of 10, 5 or 2mg (in my experience in IL and CO, anyway). Occasionally you’ll see baked edibles that are intended to break into pieces, or sometimes candies up to 20mg.

200mg of THC would get most people very high, I think.

1 Like

No, that’s never happened to me. I’ve never known anyone to get it either. There was some talk about the symptoms being related to neem oil used as a pesticide, but I don’t know what the latest theories are.

3 Likes